Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Loadmaster

My friend "jasmap" decided to finally stop coughing out the big bucks on factory ammo. He'd been looking at progressive presses for awhile and bought a Lee Loadmaster from Midway. I was hoping he'd get a Hornady Lock-N-Load but the price of the Lee was too much to resist.

I've never used a Loadmaster but am not new to reloading. I drove over to jasmap's house last night and got the press set up and turning out rounds in about an hour's time. Everything seems to be running fine (I had to screw with the case feeder for awhile) and I encountered no problems putting everything together.

Jasmap has never reloaded before and I feel I might have done him a disservice. I helped him set up the press and we cranked out a handful of ammo but then I had to leave. Jasmap will be basically left on his own to muddle through and figure things out. I gave him a quick and dirty "safety briefing" and then had to run.

Can any of you guys who have experience with the Loadmaster pitch in here and give us an idea of what to keep an eye on? What parts need to be watched for wear and/or jumping out of adjustment?

I'm only looking for info and advice that will be of help. Please leave the usual, "Buy a Dillon!" replies out!

Been several years, but I have used a Loadmaster. Lee had great deals on blems.

Rub candle wax on the ledge that the case feeder block slides on. The diagonal cam will look like it is sticking, but the problem is the block that pushes the cases into the shellplate.

Take the shellplate off, and remove the white primer feed assembly when you are not using the press. The springy plastic leaf will loose its springyness if it is kept under tension.

Been loading on a loadmaster for years. Here are my tips.

use a grease or heavy oil on the square rod...the case slider rod

adjust this rod so it is square and as close to the case slider as possbible. Lee recommends pencil width.....get it closer than that

Get the case collector....it really works great

a second sizing die in the primer feed station helps keep cases centered. Sometimes the holding arms get pushed out over time

get several primer sliders (the small plastic piece that actually pushes the primer into place.

get an extra rod, case slider and etc.

Watch the arm pins, on sometimes they will walk....once set they are usually fine

Dont get any lube on the primer system....it does't like gunk....soap and water to clean after every few thousand rounds.

Feel free to PM with any probs....but I am traveling next 2 weeks.

Been loading on a loadmaster for years. Here are my tips.

adjust this rod so it is square and as close to the case slider as possbible. Lee recommends pencil width.....get it closer than that

Get the case collector....it really works great

a second sizing die in the primer feed station helps keep cases centered. Sometimes the holding arms get pushed out over time

get several primer sliders (the small plastic piece that actually pushes the primer into place.

get an extra rod, case slider and etc.

Watch the arm pins, on sometimes they will walk....once set they are usually fine

Dont get any lube on the primer system....it does't like gunk....soap and water to clean after every few thousand rounds.

Feel free to PM with any probs....but I am traveling next 2 weeks.

Tman,

Thanks! We'll get jasmap up and running. I live 70 miles down the road so it's not just a matter of running over to help him out! What I need to do is sit with him and let him load 500-600 rounds and coach him through whatever might come up.

Did you shoot with Dean? He was a good dude. I used to work with him there in Denver.

This is it

The diagonal cam will look like it is sticking, but the problem is the block that pushes the cases into the shellplate.

The square rod does not need lube. The case slider does. Wax won't cause other problems.

Thanks for all the info. Tokarev went waaaaaaay out of his way to help me get things running but he didn't have all day to get me started because he drove an hour and a half each way. He covered the safety and basics but I'm so new to reloading it doesn't take much to get me lost. Any more tips or hints? Thanks.