Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Method

Delta Mike

2.Transfer gun to weak hand, open cylinder with right thumb, gun is now in the web of my right hand between thumb and first finger (I wear a special glove on my right hand 'cause I burn the web of my hand on the forcing cone.)

mainusglove.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! Scary monster! :blink:

I heard that Lee guy in California sacrifices small tofu animals to the primer gods in order to get the triggers light.

I started loading like John B. and Jerry, then I switched to the Carden maneuver and now I'm back to the way I started. I see advantages to both ways. Holding the gun in my strong hand not only allows me to maintain my primary grip, it allows me to easily reach all the clip holders without being a contortionist. The ejection is 100% positive as long as the grip is clearanced to allow my spent moonclip an unobstructed path.

Jerry's way allows me to do two things simultaneously- eject spents while reaching for the fresh moon. The down side is that for those of us with small hands, the manipulation of the N-frames can be a bit unwieldy. I do like this method because I can "pinch" the cylinder closed with my left thumb pressing against the flat side of the crane rather than slamming the cylinder shut with my palm. I've seen some guns where the hole in the frame was elongated due to excessive speed/force closing the cylinder.

Edited by Randy Lee

... Attempting to mash or control the moon clip with your hand will only slow the reload down.

My smoothest reloads are when I'm not really thinkging it through while doing it. Have you ever ran to your car in the rain thinking "I'm going to unlock it real fast" only to have trouble getting the key in the hole. B)

I am left handed and reload switching hands. Here is how I do it, I like it and it seems to work for me, it feels pretty fast.

1. Open cylinder with left thumb. I use an oversize release custom built by my new gunsmith :wub:

2.Transfer gun to weak hand, open cylinder with right thumb, gun is now in the web of my right hand between thumb and first finger( I wear a baseball batting glove on my right hand 'cause I burn the web of my hand on the forcing cone.)

3. Eject moon clip with right index finger. Gun is almost pointed to the sky for this.

4. Reload with left hand.

5. Regrip gun with strong hand, start to bring gun back up on target, close cylinder with right hand, by the time you close the cylinder you should be getting the next sight picture.

Tom, my reload is pretty close to yours. I know what you mean about the forcing cone burns!! Shooting IDPA doesn't bother me but if I'm shooting USPSA, it gets a lot hotter. :o

I used to unlock the cylinder with my right thumb but it was pointed out to me that I was doing a lot of unnecessary movement. Now I just slide my right hand up the side of the gun while I release the cylinder with my left thumb, poke out the cylinder with the right thumb and slide the thumb through to control the gun.

Jerry

(The other Jerry M - he may be faster, but I'm better looking :D )

Delta Mike, I use the "hand on " method with speed loaders, and moonclips, (not that it counts much) and the big "trick" with speedloaders is to grasp the speedloader by the big round part where the rounds are being held. That way you can see the round go into the chambers. Also cutting them down so that the comp III's don't pull them back out and trigger faster. (There is a thread on cutting them down somewhere in the Revo Forum)

Bubber,

I have searched the forum for the thread on cutting down the comp III's, and I can't find it. I am interested in seeing what to cut. Any chance you could explain it to me, or maybe locate the thread? I would appreciate it very much.

DM

COMP III MODS

I added it to the FAQ also

Thank you for the explanation, I think I will give it a shot today.

Take Care

DM

I started loading like John B. and Jerry, then I switched to the Carden maneuver and now I'm back to the way I started. I see advantages to both ways.

"The Carden Maneuver." I like it. Besides sounding slightly like the next Tom Clancy novel, it's got a nice ring to it, I think we'll have to start calling it that.

At matches overseas, we can refer to it as "The Spook Move."

Edited by Carmoney

I just wanted to thank everybody for their input in this thread. I cut down a couple of comp III's today (dremel tool method). I was pretty surprised by how much better they work this way. They were already an extremely fast speedloader, now they are smokin. I look foreward to using them in a match.

Take care,

DM

I too am not the fastest reloader when it comes to shooting a Revo but when using a moonclipped gun, I've taken to using the same style Dan uses, holding with the strong hand and reloading with the weak hand. However, when I shoot my 686 with speedloaders, I still do the transfer since I don't thinkI've ever tried the Dan style reload with speedloaders. I'm not sure how that would work for me. I think when I shoot the 686, I want positive ejection of those long 38 cases so I swat the cases out with my strong hand before loading with the speedloaders. With the moonclipped gun and the shorter 40's, the strong hand reload seems to work better for me, but I still have to make a positive extraction, just not as random or variable as 6 - 38's that will go wherever they want as opposed to 6 clipped 40's.

Vince