Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question For Resident Md's / Opthamologists

What is the typical distance from the surface of the retina to the front of the skull where it meets the bridge of the nose (for say an avg. 6' male)? I tried using the depth gauge of my caliper, but that hurts, so I thought I'd ask instead.

I'm trying to come up with some reasonable geometry so I can figure out what glasses are going to work for me shooting prone (and everywhere else) before randomly throwing money at the problem.

Thanks!

Eric, have the optical center raised 1.5 to 2 mm and it will work very well prone and standing at shoulder level targets. If you look down things get acid-trippy and not in a good way. I dont think there is a combination that wont give you some of that same effect though. I did this with a pair of glasses I used for Bianchi only, and they worked great until the changed the prone rule and were no longer of much use. I will dig them out and send em to you if you wanna give them a try, though unless we have a similar prescription it prolly wont tell you much. I dont recall my number, but my contacts are a 1.75 power if that helps at all.

Its about 4 inches...

But the only real way is to remove your eyeball and get an 'accurate' reading.

If you've ever had a head x-ray you can use that to measure. They are after all your records. Not that i've ever had my head examined.

Dude, just try on some glasses and leave the CSI stuff for TV. I can't stop laughing! :lol:

You really want a laugh?

Wait until I take all my black guns and my STI to the big trap shoot in two weeks and fly before I buy. :lol: Those crabby old farts will go into heart failure about the time I pull out the "sniper" rifle.