Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice On Speeding Up Transitions.

bw31

You first have to want (WANT) your transitions to speed up, and I don't mean that as a casual, "gee I'd like to shoot faster!" kind of want, I mean the deep down urge to push the speed.

I would get away from using full targets at first, the flaw with big targets is to fling rounds at them and lose sight/target focus to the speed. The idea is to transition quickly and get good hits. Dot drills work well for this, but in a pinch you can use B-zones. Start with them placed close together then move them apart later. Place two to start on a target stand (maybe on the back of a IPSC target) no more than an inch apart and maybe 7m away. When the gun recoils after a shot, move it to the next target. In other words, fire one shot on the first target but instead of returning the gun to the same target, let it fall on the second...only A's count. Do this s few times then move the targets 1 ft apart and repeat.

Try firing 4 shots but 1 left, 1 right, 1 left, 1 right instead of two on each.

Try 3 on each, 3 left, 3 right, just break up the usual 2, 2, 2.

Try a Type 2 focus on really close full targets (3m)

For example place 2 full targets shoulder to shoulder. Get your sight on the first target, then look to the scoring surface of the second to get your hits.

If this causes you trouble, fire a Bill drill at the first target, get the time, then fire 3 and 3 within the same time limit as the bill drill (remember only A's count in a Bill drill) on the two target

Place 6 B-zones in a row and fire one on each at 3 or 4 meters

When you start to get comfortable, send the same targets back to 7 to 10 meters.

Your transitions will get faster when you do the things that make your transitions faster.

Splits are no different

Call the shot

Get your eyes to the target

Move the gun

See the gun coming into the target

Shoot at the earliest instant that you see enough to hit the target.

edit

I don't like the word instant, because it will not happen instantly.

Edited by wide45