Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening A Recoilmaster

cz75ipsc

I have an STI Edge in .40 with the standard RecoilMaster (heavy). While it works flawlessly, I'd really like to try a lighter recoil spring, as it seems to me that recoil feel is a lot better with a lighter spring. I bought a spare heavy RM when I bought the gun, since I read many had had one break.

My question is, can I reduce the power of the RM somehow? Has someone attempted this? I would imagine cutting the spring would do, and also by compressing the spring for a long duration it would lighten..? Which spring should I cut, or should I cut both? Or should I not cut at all? I ask because I know very little about fiddling with springs.

Also, I believe the heavy RM is the equivalent of a 14-15 -pounder standard guide rod setup, am I more or less correct? What is the light RM equivalent of? 8lbs? 10lbs? And furthermore, do you know of anyone who has a light RM in a .40, shooting major?

Thanks guys!

I have an STI Edge in .40 with the standard RecoilMaster (heavy). While it works flawlessly, I'd really like to try a lighter recoil spring, as it seems to me that recoil feel is a lot better with a lighter spring. I bought a spare heavy RM when I bought the gun, since I read many had had one break.

My question is, can I reduce the power of the RM somehow? Has someone attempted this? I would imagine cutting the spring would do, and also by compressing the spring for a long duration it would lighten..? Which spring should I cut, or should I cut both? Or should I not cut at all? I ask because I know very little about fiddling with springs.

Also, I believe the heavy RM is the equivalent of a 14-15 -pounder standard guide rod setup, am I more or less correct? What is the light RM equivalent of? 8lbs? 10lbs? And furthermore, do you know of anyone who has a light RM in a .40, shooting major?

Thanks guys!

Chuck at Shooter's Connection sells replacement recoil master springs. You could either clip one of those or play with (clip) the different weight wolff/Ismi springs. Some of the folks around here have experimented this way with open guns. I don't know anyone who has played this way with a limited gun. At one time, STI recommended the light recoil master for all competition guns, and the heavy only for carry guns. I don't know why they changed; must of had some problems.

Don't care for the recoilmaster myself, too many hassels. I prefer a standard guide rod with a .200 shock buff and trimmed wolf springs. YMMV.

Get the replacement for the light RM.

Just so I'm clear on this, you do mean 'purchase the light RM'? Or get a replacement spring?

The guys at STI have told me they shoot the light RM in 40's.

Anyone in Benosland tried this setup? Possibly with IPSC PF ammo (175ish)?

Chuck at Shooter's Connection sells replacement recoil master springs

I browsed around shootersconnection.com and couldn't find any, at least under the name recoilmaster, replacement spring or any such name. Plz post an url if someone finds one.

You can put the light replacement spring and put it on the Heavy RM

Does this in effect make it a light RM? I mean, is the only difference between the light and heavy system that the bigger spring has a different weight, or does the smaller spring have a different weight also?

I'm probably gonna end up buying a complete light RM anyway...

Ok guys.... I have the same thought some time ago.... and its the way that I follow....

No cut the major spring on the recoilmaster because when you cut you cant resew what you did cut!!!!!! The recoil master weights 14 lbs.

I use a wolff spring 10 lbs and the gun work fine but someone use also 9 lbs. If the new spring don fit well on the recoilmaster body (maybe a little bit tight) you can shine it wit a dremel until the spring will fit good.

:D

Thx Matt, I dunno how I missed that... probably got confused with it saying MAIN spring replacement.

I think the light is too light if you don't have a guard to keep your thumb off the slide.

I'm a real n00b when it comes to recoil springs. I've never heard this before. So what you're saying is many people's thumbs ride the slide in recoil? And it doesn't cause malfunctions because of a heavy(ish) recoil spring? I've never even thought about this, but I would assume the serrations on the slide would tear off some skin from my thumb if it did touch the slide.

And just so I'm clear on this again, L2S, you had a setup with a light replacement spring on a heavy RM? And you definately felt a difference between that and an unmodified heavy RM?

Sorry for being so difficult in understanding everyone, English isn't my mother tongue.