Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Morning Quiz

omnia1911

The rest of the answer is in US9.4.5.3.

I disagree. 9.4.5.3 describes the order in which the competitor engages each target in a course of fire and with how many shots at one time, and whether or not to apply penalties based on whether a competitor puts more than a stipulated number of rounds on an individual target during a stage component. It does not contravene 9.4.4 or 9.5.6. If the competitor totally fails to engage a given scoring target with an appropriate number of rounds during the course of fire, he will receive miss penalties. If he fails to engage each scoring target with a minimum of one round, he will also receive a procedural per target in this state.

For example - if a VC speed shoot has three targets, and the course description says draw, fire six rounds at the targets, reload, fire six rounds at the targets, reload, fire six rounds at the targets, stacking is allows... and the shooter blows it and puts 6 rounds on the first target, 12 rounds on the 2nd target, and none on the third, he will, in fact, be scored 6 misses on the 3rd target, plus one procedural for failure to engage the target per 9.5.6. He'll also get 6 extra hit penalties for the second target with 12 hits.

A course of fire allowing stacked shots should not require scoring in between component strings for obvious reasons.

US9.4.5.3 only involves VC stages with strings.

US6.1.1 allows for each string to be scored and taped separately. If the COF specifies this action, and if stacking is allowed, then, US9.4.5.3 allows the competitor to fail to engage targets, and avoid receiving any penalties.

You may wonder why anyone would shoot a string this way knowing that it will be scored separately, so would I. Stranger thing have happened; brain farts among them.

This may not have been intended, but it is in black and white in the rule book. Maybe some rule tweaking is in order.

The last sentence of 6.1.1 makes it clear that the total tally of hits (and the totals of the times) will be used together to determine a final stage result. The only difference between 6.1.1 and US6.1.1, BTW, is that the US rule allows for scoring after the stage is complete - allowing for stacked shot stages in the first place.

Again, my post stands. You appear to be misinterpreting 6.1.1 and how it applies to final stage result for the competitor. Determination of whether the competitor engaged a target or not is determined at the culmination of the course of fire, not in the middle of it (9.5.6 clearly states this, BTW). Also, determination of miss penalties is applied at the end of the course of fire, as results are tallied on the score sheet.

Again, I'll also raise my note that it would be very poor course design that allows stacked shots and requires scoring between strings.

Note also that a stage requires a certain number of scored hits on a given target at the end of the course of fire... not at the end of a given string.

The last sentence of US6.1.1 only refers to the time components.

A miss is not a penalty. It is a score.

US6.1.1 says that scores and penalties are recorded at the end of the stage unless the COF specifies that they be recorded at the end of the string.

US9.4.5.3 allows for penalties to be avoided during a string, when scores and penalties could be recorded. US9.4.5.3 is pretty clear to me. You can fail to engage targets in a string while stacking and not be penalized.

There is a simple solution. Don't allow stacking of shots.

Edited by omnia1911