Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Credit Card Scam: Sneaky!

bountyhunter

So, got what probably is another scam e-mail yesterday, this one is allegedly from Chase bank. Starts out with they will credit you $20 if you fill out this thing.... I go to the link site and it really looks like an official Chase site.

HERE'S THE KICKER:

The "linked site" has info warning about "fishing" scams and advising people never to give up confidentail information....

Of course, guess what it takes to get into the place? Your customer ID and password!!!!

This sounds like the old "good cop / bad cop" routine. They give you all this good info to avoid scams to make you think they are the good guys... and you will then type in your ID and password.

I have to admit, that was a good one! Here's the text:

Dear Customers,

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

You have been chosen by the Chase Manhattan Bank online department to take part in our quick and easy 5 question survey. In return we will credit $20 to your account - Just for your time!

Helping us better understand how our customers feel benefits everyone. With the information collected we can decide to direct a number of changes to improve and expand our online service.

The information you provide us is all non-sensitive and anonymous - No part of it is handed down to any third party groups.

It will be stored in our secure database for maximum of 3 days while we process the results of this nationwide survey.

We kindly ask you to spare two minutes of your time in taking part with this unique offer!

To Continue click on the link below:

http://www.chase.com/?CustomerID=8972347&S...hhekwod0pqlwoe0

Many Thanks and Kind Regards - Chase Manhattan Bank Customer Department

Interesting is that the prosaic greeting at the end is very typical of Asian or japanese writing style (I deal a lot with Pacific Rim customers).

"Many Thanks and Kind Regards - Chase Manhattan Bank Customer Department "

This is very unusual for a western mode of writing. They would just say "thank you" or something like that.

Edited by bountyhunter

I've never been scammed and never will be.

I don't read e-mails from folks I don't know, and I don't care how snappy their subject line is.

I also am not looking for something for nothing.