Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Icore Match In Thibodaux,la.

encoreman

I'm no rules expert but I think what they're really going after are aftermarket bolt-on rib sights like the Aristocrat or Wichita. These add almost a 1/2" to an 1" of sight radius, have really nice target sights, multiple sight settings for different distances, and add some weight to the gun to control recoil.

I'm sure they'd also kick you to Open if you did something like AzShooter said; mount a factory sight so the front screw is in the middle screw hole (the one used for a scope mount).

Some Bullseye shooters used to use an extended front sight on 1911's in the days before 6" slides were prevalent. The rules stated that the sight radius could not be longer than the barrel length. Guys would have 5" slides with 6" barrels hanging out the front and a front sight on this long skinny extension. Weird looking but it worked for them.

After being dormant for a few years, the Southern Regional Revolver Championship roared back to life with Match Directors Annette and Elliot Aysen and the Lafourche Speed Shooters hosting the 2006 event at the Southern Shooting Center. On an absolutely picture perfect weekend, 34 competitors from Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Minnesota and California enjoyed the challenging stages designed and set up by the club members.

Rangemaster and Prize Coordinator Joe Touchton directed the match setup on Friday and kept things running smoothly through the weekend. All the club members pitched in to help, even those who did not shoot. Scoring was by Barbara Thibodaux with results posted within minutes after the last shot was fired on Sunday morning. Range Helpers Denise Fox and Forrest Boudreaux ran scores and assisted the shooters. Elliot ran the Chrono stage and sent a couple of shooters home with long faces when they discovered the sea level air and not enough powder made them a few feet per second short. Those nice embroidered "cryin' towels" that Annette made for the shooter packages came in handy to wipe away the 360 second tears.

On Saturday evening, many of the shooters congregated at China Gardens for dinner and those inevitable "if only" discussions. Shooting completed on Sunday morning with trophy presentations immediately following. ICORE classifications were used for trophy awards. Annette Aysen took Top Lady and Elliot dominated Limited with a win in Master and Top Limited. Kay did not shoot, but she ran Squad 1 while Jerry made it look easy as he smoothly raced to Top Open and Overall match win. Other Special Awards were Gary Thibodaux as High Limited Senior, Ron Williamson as High Open Senior and Scott Jacob as High Overall Six Shooter.

A generous prize table of over $4000 was provided by the personal efforts of Joe Touchton and his spouse Dolores who put all the proceeds back into the prizes. Thank you, Joe. Hard working Range Officers Gary Thibodaux, Barbara Thibodaux, Neil Allen, Scott Jacob, Lloyd Landry, and Mike Marque were decked out in bright yellow ICORE shirts donated by JME Ltd USA. Some of those yellow shirts also went onto the prize table. At the end of the match, everyone helped to tear down and put away while the prize table was being set up. Please write or email to express your thanks to these generous Sponsors who supported the Southern Regional Championship:

Overall Match Sponsor Smith & Wesson

Allison Tool - custom cylinder speedbrushes

Bacou USA Safety Inc. - hearing safety products

Bagmaster Mfg. Inc. - shooting bags, holsters and cases

BANG, Inc. - firearms training with Kay and Jerry Miculek

Billy Bullets - quality coated cast bullets

Competitive Edge Dynamics - shooting timers and chronographs

J. Dewey Manufacturing Co. Inc. - fine gun cleaning products

Dillon Precision Products, Inc. - reloading presses and shooting equipment

GAT Bullets - premium cast bullets by Gary Thibodaux 985-446-0093

Henry Repeating Arms Company - historical and modern rifles

Hogue, Inc. - handgun grips, rifle stocks, UltraTouch toilet seats and tool grips.

JME Ltd, USA - nondestructive test and inspection equipment for high reliability industries

Kershaw Knives - outdoor and kitchen cutlery

Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. - the standard in multi-tools

Louques Firearms, LLC - firearms sales and transfers in Paulina, LA 225-869-5349

Midway USA - shooting, gunsmithing and reloading supplies

Montana Gold Bullets, Inc. - precision jacketed handgun bullets

NRA Bianchi Cup - Protecting Your Second Amendment Freedom

Otis Technology - gun care systems

Pelican Products - waterproof cases and flashlights

Redding - Hunter, Inc. - precision reloading equipment

Shilen, Inc. - precision hangun/rifle barrels and bench rest bullets

Starline Brass - specialty cartridge cases, catering to the competition shooter

TK Custom - moon clips, custom revolvers

V-Line Industries - fast access firearm security cabinets

The revolver certificate donated by Smith & Wesson was won by Wayne Simmons.

For some great match photos, please visit the picture pages provided by the Southern Shooting Center. As you can readily see, the range facilities, stages and weather were excellent. Joe Touchton promises to do this again next year and it will definitely grow. ICORE is privileged to have the Lafourche Speed Shooters as an active and growing club. Thanks again to all who contributed, worked and competed in this outstanding championship.

:) Hi I Hope somebody hasn't already posted this, i did look. March 25-26 in Thibodaux,La. there will be the southern regional revolver championship. I didn't know about it until I saw the ad in Frontsight mag. I am not an ICORE member, but plan on joining. All you wheelers within earshot, this is supposed to be a good match. PM me and I'll give you info. Okay Haras& Bwana let's go. Mac :P

It was a GREAT Match....Seems like everyone attending had a great time!

JT-LSS,

Glad to have you with us, Welcome to the forums.

While you were there....You may have run into a couple of renagades from Mississippi...don't pay them much mind...They don't get out much! ;):lol::lol::lol:

I would like to invite you and your wheelgun to Jackson Mississippi ...actually Byram just South of Jackson. To the Mississippi Classic USPSA match in May...ONLY thing you need is a wheelgun, LOTS of ammo, an open mind and a USPSA member number.

John Heiter will squad you up with other wheelgunners to everyone can talk shop while having a big time!!!

If you want more info contact forum members....Haras or JohnHeiter that is thier forum names.

Glad you enjoyed the ICORE match, wish I could have been there...oh well, can't make them all. <_<

Goo luck, hope to meet you in May.

Hopalong

You may have run into a couple of renagades from Mississippi...
I resemble that remark B) ... Yea, we were the old fat grey headed crippled dudes with the wagon and the tall glassee of ice tea.

Hop, should we plan a revo social for Saturday evening? What do you think? Pat?

Edit:

Oh and welcome aboard JT-LSS (damn, always thinking of the things I should have said after I hit the submit button... mumble... mumble...mumble...)

Edited by haras