Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Problems?

Doggorloader

Our club board meetings have become all consumed with discussions about the EPA coming down on gun clubs about environmental lead concerns. So called letters from the EPA have been circulated from other clubs among numerous rumors and whatever. We have had discussions varying from PH and lead concentration testing (not cheap) lime spreading, drainage rerouting and a hundred other ideas. I do have copies othe EPA guidelines for gun clubs concerning lead control ect. My question is does anyone have first hand knowledge of the urgency or present day intent of the EPA about lead concerns and /or experience with how their club is actively handling this issue?

We shoot upwards of 4000 rounds of clays and probably 2000+ of 5-stand which amounts to almost 9 tons of shot/year not even mentioning the rifle/pistol ranges so it is substantial.

Would help to share in whatever actions are being taken at other clubs rather than rely on the good old rumor mill. :rolleyes:

Our club is currently operating under an EPA best practices program for range lead control. One of our range members was instrumental in drafting the best practice document. IF you want I can get a hold of him and get a copy/more information for you.

We do water testing, soil testing, mining the berm at some multi year interval, and occasional lime spreading.

What they are finding out is that once the lead forms the oxide layer it becomes fairly inert and non-leeching. As a matter of fact the mining of the berm usually increases the problems (as EPA defines problems)

Don't let the mining scare ya. It is simply a frontend loader/bobcat scooping berm dirt onto a screening table. The screen is shaken, the lead retrieved, and the dirt replace. Jack leg operation at best :)

Steven

PS.

We currently don't have anywhere near the level of shotgun usage you do. We are 95% rifle and pistol. The lead scattered all over the drop zone could be a larger issue.

Edited by standles

What exactly are we talking about here? Is this only in certain states?

Our club threw an average of 30,000 targets per month over the winter. Noone has ever mentioned the EPA so far.

Do you see some sort of enforceable law in the near future?

JD:

While not all encompassing yet it is coming. The EPA is being used as a tool by anti-gun forces to shut ranges down. In our particular case, our range is on land leased from the county. We are in an old pit that was deserted years ago. Now neighbors move in and demand that the range be shut down because it is noisy,dangerous,polluting the groundwater. Now devlopers have reached our little nirvana and are pressuring the county to evict and sell to them for houseing developments.

EPA and lead pollution has been a tool in these folks box through it all. The only thinkg stopping them was the foresight of one of our members to work with the EPA and create a best practices policy and implement it.

To show you how ridiculous this can all get... The practice range on one of the local military bases was shut down over this very thing until they got retooled to use traps not berms. This from a testing area that explodes many many pound of explosive and weapons a year over miles of range.

Steven

The testing lab in our closest city contacted the EPA from the number we received on our letter from them and was told that there is no protocol for lead/ph tests as of now but to adhere to the best practices publication. :(:wacko:

I was at the test lab yesterday and picked up our test kit for taking samples to establish baseline levels for lead contamination and ph. They recomended at least 10 core samples at $20 each taken from clay sport drop zones and near the range berms. Prelim testing has told us we need about 4 tons/acre of lime spread to correct the problem which is huge.

The word is if we can show good faith initiative (my words) in containing the lead runoff due to correcting low ph then we will be ahead of other clubs who are scoffing.

It involves alot of documentation and work let alone cash and we don't have an abundance of people that will help with anything other than pulling triggers. We could use the cash to other better uses.

I'm asking because I thought there might be some experience here with things already in progress at other clubs. Our club, at least now, believes it's not a question of if but when we get a closer look from the EPA. Maybe it's all BS but I'm not willing to give up my place to shoot from an oversight or arrogance or a bet.

Years ago our club had a company come in and they reclaimed the lead shot over the trap and skeet field. Our fields are relatively flat and dry so they could do a pretty good job.

They bring their machines in and harvest lead...and then pay a percent of whatever they reclaim. Win...win situation.

Sporting ranges might be difficult depending on the set-up.

Yes, I believe lead is a problem as clubs have been shut down that shoot over, near water and wetlands...so far. Some countries like Denmark and Sweden, I think, mandate non-lead shot for all shooting now. Lot's of articles in some English sporting mags on lead shot potential problems. We're not European, :D , but it would be wise to prepare.

Lot's of information on the web, the EPA and the NRA about field managment of lead.

Clubs would be wise to educate themselves on what can be done with what you have and setting up new potential fields.