Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hs-7 And The Shorty 38 Super

gotcha

Does anyone have any experience with HS-7 and loads for a shorty in 38 super. VV105 is very hard to find!

Thanks

Martin

I didnt like the results in my shorty and since it IS discontinued, you might not want to use it anyway.

Never tried HS7 but I have used HS6 in my 38 Super (not a shorty) with good results.

I don't have my specs with me and can't remember off the top of my head what the load was. I prefer the VV350 a bit more than the HS6 as it is cleaner and I had a very small amount of tiny sparks from the HS6 when it got dark while there is nothing from the 350.

What's left on hand is all the HS7 available but the HS6 will remain so you may want to try it out as an option.

I don't have the link at my fingers but look on the forum for the link to JM's load data page for data.

I have some N-105 loads in the thread I wrote on .38 Super Comp load development. I'd recommend giving 3N38 a whirl, too. The problem you may encounter with either of these in a short gun is fitting enough powder in the case to make major. My gun is short from the standpoint of OAL, but the barrel is still 5" (even though it's got 6 ports).

We shot some of my N350 loads in AustinMike's Hardy Mongoose - a quintessential shorty (4" barrel built on a Commander setup). They were quite nice - made 170PF in my gun, and 166PF in his. So, don't rule out N350, 7625, 4756, etc, until you try them ;)

Edited by XRe

• 5 weeks later...

A friend and I have been doing extensive testing with N105 and 4756. Both powders do well in our Brazo Shorty's.

10.4 of N105 (170PF in "MY" gun) is audibly louder, sharper in the hand, but has great dot recovery and most importantly it meters and reloads nicely. The drawback is it's comparitively expensive and hard to find.

9.3 of 4756 (170PF in "MY" gun) is by far softer in recoil, equal in dot recovery. But reloading it just plain suxs. The case is all but full. We've moved the seating die to station 3 (Dillon 650) and go slow as to not spill any powder.

I feel the 4756 is better overal, but that's with "MY" gun. Variations in the gun, reloading components/technique have proven to make all the difference in the world. Although my buddies and my guns are VERY similar. They do NOT chrono out identically. So that only proves that you need to reduce your starting load and work up from there.