Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sx1640j Update

Looks pretty good. And, it looks like you can use those targets again...just shoot on the right side this time. :)

All joking aside, you are grouping about two inches left. That could be your sights needing adjusting, but it is more likely you and your trigger finger interacting with the new gun. The way to check that is to shoot some groups with the other hand. See where it hits then.

posting pictures of groups are always interesting. You almost need to know time frame and style with those not just distance. It would be one thing to shoot those all from the holster at less than 1.5 seconds per draw at 10 yards and another to do it all under 1.0 and another if there was no time factor and they were all slow fire. Still another if they were all two shot doubles and the splits were .4 or .3 or .2.

With groups and testing the accuracy of a new gun I always like to do some kind of standard test. 25 yards, 5 shot group off of sand bags with no time limit give me a better understanding of what the gun can do. I also like to do this same test at 50 yards. Not just one group either. If I am ambitious, 5, 5 shot groups and average the group size measured center of the hole to center of the farthest hole with a dial caliper. Keep these numbers in your shooter's log for future reference along with the exact load that they were shot with.

The Jarrett Para seems like a very nice weapon at a great price point compared to some other alternatives. I read the recent USPSA article with some interest. I'm probably not going to own a $2500 limited gun any time soon, but this Para could be in the realm of reality. Looks like a very nice package. Congrats on a good buy and have fun experimenting with the new acquisition.

Rick

Edited by Clay1

Flex, I also shoot to the left with my XD. You made reference to where my trigger finger engages the trigger. I printed off a target that shows different hand variables in relation to where the bullet hits. On the left side and where I am grouping it states "too little trigger finger". I presently shoot with my finger resting on the trigger approx at the first joint. I have tried to shoot with just the pad but had same results. Any ideas?

I'm not Flex, but it looks a bit like you're "milking" the gun. If you use too much pressure with your strong hand, it's very difficult to isolate the required movement of the trigger finger. You can get sympathetic constriction of the whole hand, and drag the gun to the left. Try getting a more neutral grip with your strong hand and see if they straighten out any.

First, I am assuming you are using some form of iso grip, not weaver or something else...?

If so:

- Look to grip a bit more with you weak hand, not as much with the stronghand.

- Make sure to pull the triger straight back...I'd use the pad of my finger, not the joint.

- In dry-fire, do the balance the dime on the front sight trick. (should be some posts around here on that)