Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Dominance Problem?

MattJohnston

Hello everyone, my first post, so be nice :-)

Well anyway, I am a VERY new shooter to the world of guns, and in fact, I have only shot a handgun on one occasion. I am currently working with a NRA certified IPSC shooter on proper stance, grip, shooting etc, and I am doing all of this with a gas blowback airsoft gun.

The local gun club has IPSC airsoft matches, and I have been going to those and have been doing rather well (4th out of 12 in the last match), but after talking to people for a while, I am troubled that I may have learned the wrong way.

As of right now, when I am shooting close range (5-10 yds), I don’t look at the sights at all, and just look at the target, and I can say with confidence that I hit small aluminum (~3" round) targets 90% of the time because I have a good natural point of aim, but once I try to look at the front sight like I am told to, I miss 50% of the time and my sight picture is blurred horribly. I was told this is an eye dominance problem, and when I tilt the gun to the right, the sight picture clears up, but tilting the gun probably isn’t a good solution to the problem.

I REALLY want to be EXTREMELY tactical in the way I shoot, and I want to learn to aim down the sights with both eyes open and look at the front sight, but my right eye is so much more dominate than my left that I just cannot get any picture with both eyes open. Am I doomed to using one eye for aimed shots, and reflex shooting all the other time (my definition of reflex shooting is just shooting like a shotgun, looking at the target and relying on my natural ability to shoot where I am looking to hit the target).

But above all, I am still new so I believe that I may be able to unlearn any bad habits I have.

Sorry that this is so rambley, but I have a ton of questions because I want to eventually shoot "perfect", and be competitive for IPSC, but my main goal is to be proficient in the deployment of my weapon because I am going into Law Enforcement.

Thanks

-Matt

Which hand are you holding the gun with? Have you done an dominate-eye test? If so, which eye is your dominant eye?

Im right handed and shoot as such.

as for the eye dominance test, Ive done this thing before where you make a diamond with your hand, and look at something in the room thru that diamond with your arms extended. you then bring your hands in towards your face, and the eye your hands go to is your dominate eye, which is my right.

is that the eye dominance test? or is there one that is more "offical"

Matt you're going to be OK. You don't have an eye dominance problem. Usually when one says they have an eye dominance problem they are a RIGHT handed shooter with a LEFT eye dominance. That is what I am. You are a RIGHT handed shooter with a RIGHT eye dominance. Your problems I'm sure will work themselves out as you continue to refine your grip and stance.

One way to train your eyes to shoot with both eyes open is to put scotch tape on your shooting glasses (the non dominant eye...which is left for you). I think if you try this in dry fire, you will learn a lot.

Welcome to the sport and to the forum! My husband suggested that I read Brain's book, Practical Shooting when I first began to shoot. It really helped me. You might want to consider picking up a copy.

And yes...you did the eye dominance test correctly. Best of luck as you begin your journey.

I want to eventually shoot "perfect", and be competitive for IPSC, but my main goal is to be proficient in the deployment of my weapon because I am going into Law Enforcement.

Thanks

-Matt

I've been doing IPSC more years than I care to admit and I still want to eventually shoot perfect. :D:D You'll always be finding something to improve upon....that's what makes shooting so much fun! Welcome and I applaud your desire to learn...especially if you're looking to be a LEO. If you practice diligently, you'll not only become proficient but efficient. Make the search feature here your best friend as nearly every topic under the sun is covered. Best of luck!

Matt, I applaud the fact that you are seeking training since you want to go into LE. I have a newbie at the academy that didnt listen to me and is now sweating cuz the trainiee didnt dryfire and practice like I instructed..... :angry:

IMHO there is no way to shoot "tactical", <idpa flamesuit on>shooting is shooting, and tactics are tactics. I say that from being a street cop, SWAT trainer, and Firearms instructor for 14 years. Learn how to shoot in an isosceles fashion with high thumbs grip, and when you can use your front sight to guide the speed of your shooting then you can learn tactics and how to incorporate the tactics when finding a shooting solution(or avoiding one altogether....).(YOU might find this and other incredible information in a little book by our host, BE...)

I am sure that some of my fellow shooting brethren may disagree with me, but when training new cops that have never shot a gun before you have to start at ground zero and focus on the basics. Dont get the cart before the horse. Buy a .22 and learn grip, sight alignment, and trigger control first. It will pay off in spades. Good luck and be prepared to put many hours of hard work in to be successful. I am still learning...... ;) DougC

Matt, I applaud the fact that you are seeking training since you want to go into LE. I have a newbie at the academy that didnt listen to me and is now sweating cuz the trainiee didnt dryfire and practice like I instructed..... :angry:

IMHO there is no way to shoot "tactical", <idpa flamesuit on>shooting is shooting, and tactics are tactics. I say that from being a street cop, SWAT trainer, and Firearms instructor for 14 years. Learn how to shoot in an isosceles fashion with high thumbs grip, and when you can use your front sight to guide the speed of your shooting then you can learn tactics and how to incorporate the tactics when finding a shooting solution(or avoiding one altogether....).(YOU might find this and other incredible information in a little book by our host, BE...)

I am sure that some of my fellow shooting brethren may disagree with me, but when training new cops that have never shot a gun before you have to start at ground zero and focus on the basics. Dont get the cart before the horse. Buy a .22 and learn grip, sight alignment, and trigger control first. It will pay off in spades. Good luck and be prepared to put many hours of hard work in to be successful. I am still learning...... ;) DougC

Ah, I see, my appologies for the lingo mistake, it took me like 2 months to learn that its a Magazine, not a clip :D . But, I will definatly look into that, and I sent you a PM if you dont mind, looking a little further into your post.

And thanks for all of the other advice too, I will definatly look into that book, and I will also try the tape trick. Question though, did you mean SCOTCH tape, or Masking tape. I may be wrong, but isnt scotch tape the clear kind? would that be just to blur my vision?

Edited by MattJohnston

Nope, scotch tape is correct. It's clear enough to let the light dialate your pupil. A small square doesn't block your peripheral vision - only that eye's focus on the front site.

Ah, i seee, so it just blocks your eye from focusing on the front sitte, to make it easier? gotcha. I will have to try that.

I find that if I position a small piece of tape so that the lower corner closest to my nose (lower right corner, in my case) blocks the front sight, and just a little bit more (maybe the front inch of the gun), I do well. If I cover more of the gun than that (further towards my nose, or further down) it starts to interfere with my ability to move, reload the gun, etc.

When positioned correctly, and of the correct size, you won't even notice the tape is there.... ;)

I find that if I position a small piece of tape so that the lower corner closest to my nose (lower right corner, in my case) blocks the front sight, and just a little bit more (maybe the front inch of the gun), I do well. If I cover more of the gun than that (further towards my nose, or further down) it starts to interfere with my ability to move, reload the gun, etc.

When positioned correctly, and of the correct size, you won't even notice the tape is there.... ;)

So this is a widely accepted practice? It seems like something that would be seen as a crutch or something, oh well, im definatly going to give it a shot, hopefully it works!