Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Bullet Tests

JD45

Pretty informative. Good timing, we just had our SWAT training day this week and a rep came in from the parent company that owns Speer/Gold Dot. There are 2 methods of producing "bonded" bullets and they hold the patent on 1 of them. I wont use or carry anything else but Gold Dot.

We set up our gelatin test with clothing, spec'ed windshield glass, drywall, plywood, stucco, you name it, and tested numerous handgun, rifle and shotgun rounds through each and measured the expansion, penetration, retained weight, retained size, velocity, (everything). Test took all day, but what a great test. We actually got to see what does what and what "really" happens when it hits this stuff.

I brought some "other brand" ammo from home I have bought in the last year and tested it against the Gold Dot. I wont carry anything but Gold Dot now. The Gold Dot went through everything with flying colors, had the highest retention of weight, size, reliability of expansion, etc. By far IMO outperformed the rest. The "bonded" bullets are definitely better for all types of targets and possible barricades or other objects the bullet might strike before hitting the target and still reliably expand and keep its weight and size. Other bullets that are not bonded or the "other bonded" method just didn't do nearly as well. Again IMO.