Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Joined

21ravens

I just joined and this is my first post. I live in Liberty, MO (a suburb of Kansas City), and have been shooting since I was 8. I bought a Glock 22 about 10 years ago, but didn't shoot it much until just recently. I went to the local IPSC affiliated club and participated in a beginner's clinic about a year ago, and that really opened my eyes as to what a fun and "joinable" sport this could be. Right now I am working about 60 hours a week, so not able to participate in the Saturday shooting meets, but I decided to use the time I have to prepare for next year when I'll have weekends free to shoot (finally!). I'm taking this time to get the right gear, buy and learn how to reload my own ammo, practice dry-firing and mag changes and working on shooting more. I have a backstopped area next to my house and it's legal to shoot there, and a couple of indoor ranges within 10 miles of me, so practice is possible.

I'd appreciate any advice on picking a carry pistol, since my Glock is full size and hard to conceal. Missouri just a couple of years ago legalized carry in the state (we are now on a must-issue basis) so I'm looking for a smaller framed .45 that's concealable, either double or single stack. I figure to keep my Glock to shoot competition with for now, maybe move into a .45 later on.

Having looked over the posts on this site, I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality of the responses, and the kindness as well. I'm looking forward to making new friends with you all and lots of interesting times.

Jeff Edwards

Hi Jeff,

From one Newbie to another, Welcome!

Man, I'm jealous. It's gotta be awesome to have a practice berm next to your house. I live in Southern California and convieniant practice venues are tough to find (and expensive when you do).

On the carry gun, if you're already shooting a Glock, consider one of the mini-glocks in 9x19 or .40. A similar option would be the compact Springfield XD. I shot a range supplied 9mm XD at a match last year and found it to work real well. Nice thing about the Glock and XD platforms is they're simple, reliable and reasonably affordable.

Good Luck with your new hobby. See ya on the range.

Welcome!

Most everyone here actively competes in something or another, so none of the advice comes second hand from the pages of Guns & Ammo or gun store commandos. That's the big difference between this site and the rest.

Shooters are of course nicer than anyone else, so that's the other part of the equation. You should get similar treatment at any match you attend, as most shooters are very willing to help a new shooter/competitor.