Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Holder Question.

Fireant

Are CR speed versa pouches IDPA leagal? By reading the rule book I think they are. They have to cover 2 inches of the mag, mine cover over 2 inches, they must have the front face covered. The front face is defined as the flat part facing away from the shooters body. The CR speed's do. What do you think or have experience with?

Thanks.

From the Rule Book:

1. IDPA Magazine Carrier Criteria

Magazine carrier must:

A. Be designed for concealed carry and suitable for all day continuous wear.

CR makes no bones about marketing this mag pouch as a competion device, which makes it run afoul of the above rule.

Plus, most people I know who use the CR love them cause they can adjust the angles. With IDPA's rule about keeping the magazines within 10 degrees of vertical, you really will not be able to take advantage of that feature anyway.

The fact that it is marketed as a compeitition magazine holder which is against the rules. (as said above)

Look, if it's the only pouch you have, then talk to the MD about using it till you get something else. But if you wear one of those to a major match, expect flack over it.

What I'm offering here is advice, not an official ruling. You can always be the test case and risk the DQ.

Just ask yourself exactly why you are amped on using the CR pouch. If you think it gains you a tremendous advantage over the types of pouches everyone else is currently using, you have just hit upon why IDPA has rules against competition only equipment.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

Looking at the versa pouch, there is a big knob/screw at the back of the pouch. If this screw is for adjusting pouch tension, I don't see anything that would keep them from being IDPA legal if they meet all other criteria. However, if this screw is for angle adjustment, they are not IDPA legal, since it would be possible to change the angle while the pouch is on the belt. The standard CR Mag Pouch doesn't have the adjustment screw so should be okay.

I think we're treading a fine line with the "competition equipment", particularly since speedloaders shown in the rulebook as legal are Comp (Competition) III's. Also when folks have had to buy mag pouches just to COMPETE and still use their old mag pouches to carry every day.

Jerry

Edited by COF

I think we're treading a fine line with the "competition equipment", particularly since speedloaders shown in the rulebook as legal are Comp (Competition) III's.

Jerry

Not really. The rule book does not address speedloaders with any verbage. They do show the COMP III in the rule book, implying it is legal FWIW.

They do however, have a rule that addresses ammunition carriers that specifies that they be "designed for concealed carry".

When you consider that nearly all the top IDPA shooters shoot USPSA where they use the CR holders, yet they do not use them in IDPA- that might be a clue.

Like I said, what I am giving is just advice. I am not trying to give you religion or anything, but the thing is, many if not most MD's would consider the CR over the line and I would hate to see you get an equipment check or a DQ over it.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy