Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leaving The Shot Show Early

Rob Boudrie

I didn't take a carmera, but some of the interesting points:

USPSA had a table in the lobby of the convention center. This is actually prime real estate, since it's the section in which people hang out before the doors open, and we weren't next to booths full of guns or other neat toys. Various USPSA volunteers staffed the booth, and the NSSF did an 8 page "Industry Intelligencer Report" on USPSA which we handed out. This is sent to all NSSF members - and USPSA was the exclusive subject of this edition. I obtained permission from NSSF to publish this on our web site, and will have it up shortly.

S&W had their new AR rifle and the M&P handgun on display.

The "New products" section had a section on the aftermarket alloy Glock frame. I don't remember the manufacturer, but it's interesting - Glock brags of the benefits of the flexing of the frame; the aftermarket folks brag about removing the flex.

FN had their civilian P90, as well as a .223 rifle of a similar hi tech style which uses existing AR15 magazines. Although not quite as cool as the horizontal stacking 50 found top loaded magazine with the 90degree auto-rotation of rounds, but much more affordable if you really want to shoot it.

JP was displaying a prototype of a California AR - a manually operated gun that looks very much like an AR, but has a handle on the right side to manually eject and rechamber a round. Although it was beautifully made, one could only feel sorry for the Californians when looking at it.

Barrett had their full line out, including their new .416. This is reputed to be a longer range gun than their 50BMG and shoots a lathe turned brass projectile from a reformed 50BMG case (not sure about the reformed - it may be new brass). I didn't ask Barrett, but I've heard rumors the ammo goes for $14/round. I also enjoyed checking out the Serbu, Armalite and the McMillian 50 BMGs.

Safe manufacturers continue to miss the point, trying to impress everyone with their bolts, front door thickness, new gimic for the door latch, etc., but continuing to consider 12 gauge to be a standard grade safe and 10 gauge to be heavy. Come on folks - it's the side door you have to worry about, not someone compromising the boltwork.

I didn't "work my checklist" of all manufacturers I wanted to see, since I didn't realize I would be leaving early until Saturday AM, a few were missed.

The convention center is such a ripoff that the soda machines even take credit cards for the cokes - at $2.75 a pop. I had a better lunch, for less $$, by taking a pass on the fast food at the convention center and walking across the street to the Marriott for lunch.

And, a bit off topic:

I set up a local server witha copy of the USPSA web site with a wireless connection which we used with a laptop as part of the booth display, and to take signups for the USPSA partnet dealer program. I had wondered if anyone else would try to connect. We had another connection within 5 minutes of setup, and a total of 15 additional systems had connected via wireless by the second day. It must have frustrated those people who connected to an open wireless access point, only to find that any web address took them to the USPSA home page.

Edited by Rob Boudrie

The Mall Ninja contingent was in full effect and yet again failed to blend in with the crowd. I hate those dang rolling buckets! I had to have my shoes shined twice a day because they kept being run over by the things. Seriously, I've seen too many folks stumble and often trip over those things.

I had a lot of fun killing the last two hours on Saturday watching and chatting with Phil Strader and Chris Tilley while they give mag change demos at the CR Speed booth. Be sure to ask Phil about his magwell stippling service next time you see him... :D

Oh yeah, I hated the rip off drink prices too!

Edited by Middle Man

No new Glock carbine? I would love to attend one of these "for insider only" shows one day.

Anyone know who won the awards in the various departments yet?

Rick

Although the shot show is for members of the industry, I would hardly characterize it as a "for insiders" show - if you're on friendly terms with an FFL dealer, you can get mail order a ticketr ahead of time (It was $25 this year), or buy a ticket for twice that price at the door.

The real "insiders events" are the various private hospitality suites and events being held in conjunction with the show. The Shot Show issues neck strings everyone uses to wear their admission ticket, which is color coded to give a hint as to you role at the show - exhibitor, press, buyer, etc. I suspect that the "exhibitor" tag gives you less clout with the various vendors, but it does let you in on setup the day before. If you want one of those wheeled literature totes that RSR gives out, you need to identify youself as a buyer. No matter who you are, you still pay $2.75 for a bottle of water unless you have some stashed in a booth somewhere :).