Created: 2/28/05

Updated: 3/08/05

Effective: 3/08/05

Rule number: US Appendix D9 i

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling authority: John Amidon

Ruling

Questions by the membership.

1) I am very new to the sport and even though I've read the rule book a couple of times now I still have one question.

- For Production Division: Can an extended magazine release be added to the firearm and still be legal? The folks from Beretta do offer an extend magazine release for the 92FS but I just wanted to make sure that I can remain in the Production Division if I install this onto my 92FS.

2) Does the USPSA make exceptions in the type of equipment a disabled or handicapped person may use?

As a factory option, glock offers an extended mag release and extended slide stop which can be put on all glock models as a factory options. The extended mag release is the same stock part used on the larger frame glock pistols . The extended slide stop is the same one used on the glock 34 and glock 35. I am confused between the difference in Appendix D4 Special conditions: #19 and US Appendix D9 special conditions: #21 in the January 2004 edition rule book.

If I have glock set my glock 17 up with the stock extended mag release and stock extended slide stop in question would it be legal to use in the US production division?

Interpretation:

US Appendix D9 Production Division 21.5 "External modifications other than sights not allowed." This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun. Exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun from the same manufacturer is allowed, providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria. The following original manufacturer parts may be exchanged: Extended mag release, extended slide stop and external safeties including ambidextrious, provided they stay within the intent of the division. No added weights, no mag well attachments, no thumb rest or external devices used to help reduce recoil and/or muzzle flip may be exchanged.

Return to NROI Rulings

Yes..sleeves should be OK..

21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber sleeves is permitted. Modifications to the grips, other than previously mentioned, not allowed. such as grooves cut to reach the mag release or size reduction.

Larry, EERW beat me to the answer, I was working. You are going to have more questions, feel free to ask them. A link that is invaluable is this one: http://www.uspsa.org/

The rules are posted on the site as well. One comment on the rule book. It has the USPSA RULES which govern shooting in the US and then it has the IPSC rules which are international rules. Read the USPSA production rules and become familiar with them as the first step of becoming aquainted with the rule book. I have a copy of the rules on my desktop on my computer so that I can search it and refer to it often.

One more big tip. If you are just starting as a shooter, take one of the RO classes. You can help out your local club yes, but it really helps you as a shooter understand the rules better. I feel much better about the game after the RO class.

Have fun on the range and enjoy the sport,

Rick