Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Bar Sticking On 550

bchboy1206

I bought a second hand Dillon 550B and tonight was my first attempt at reloading (ever). I think I loaded 10 pretty good development rounds but my questions are:

I was wondering if using ramtac causes the powder bar to stick on the return because of the small size of the grains, (it doesn't have the fail safe rod) ?

second, the top part of the measure has quite a bit of play in it is this OK?

I would appreciate any input you all may have for this newbie,

Thanks in advance.

Jim

First off I assume your loading pistol rounds and I know nothing (best sgt shultz impression) about ramtac powder.

I would double check to make sure you have the correct (small or large) powder bar installed. If so than I would remove and clean well the bar and the track it rides in. Inspect the shute part. I actually had a piece of paper stuck in mine one time. If it still sticks then I would try it with a different powder. If it still does it then... Call Dillon and they will make it right.

The powder hopper on the top is a little loose but it shouldn't be floppy. Make sure the set screws on the measure are tight (not gorilla tight) and make sure the ridge in the collar is lined up with the grove in the powder drop die. While you at it look at the powder drop and polish the tube.

Finally. I took the knocker off my measure and got more consistent loading. Trick is consistency in your loading motion.

Later, Steven

Edited by standles

My powder measure (old style w/ springs on a 550B) has been doing the same thing for some time (loading pistol calibers.) I've observed the problem with all powders I use and with multiple powder bars. Here's some things suggested by Dillon in emails.

• Possible causes: bar or spacer out of spec, galling on the bar or spacer, powder getting stuck between bar and spacer.
  • Measure the thickness of the small powder bar and spacer. It should be .356" - .359".
  • Remove both the bar and spacer from the measure. Hold together, see if light is visible at all between them.
  • Any visible galling on the powder bar or spacer? Wipe off the bars and swab out the interior of the powder body with alcohol.

I've checked and done everything suggested, but still have the problem periodically. It comes and goes as I'm loading. I've got the failsafe rod on to yank it back over and the charge weight has never been adversely affected. It's just annoying and disrupts the smooth motion. Next time I have some spare cash, I'm going to just order a new measure & rod so I won't be down and send my old one in to have Dillon fix it up.

A guy I know bought a used 550 as well that had just the springs. He called dillon for the same reasons you noted and they shipped him the failsafe rod at no charge (if im not mistaken). Give them a call and maybe they will do the same. They are really good follks.

I bought a second hand Dillon 550B and tonight was my first attempt at reloading (ever). I think I loaded 10 pretty good development rounds but my questions are:

I was wondering if using ramtac causes the powder bar to stick on the return because of the small size of the grains, (it doesn't have the fail safe rod) ?

second, the top part of the measure has quite a bit of play in it is this OK?

I would appreciate any input you all may have for this newbie,

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Looks like you have multiple problems there. While I'm no big fan of the new style "fart knocker" mechanism, the failsafe rod is a "must have".

Bronson7

I just had the same problem with one of my powder measures. I cleaned, tightened, loosened, checked, looked and, finally, I called Dillon. They promptly sent me a new rifle powder bar and the problem was solved. No idea why this particular bar chose to act up. It made no sense, didn't matter what powder (or no powder) and just "started" one day.

I am just glad for Dillon's no-cost replacement.

Bob