Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Difference...

spook

Is it just the hand and the cylinder?

I think I hear a story some time ago about the bore being a little bit "higher" (more towards the top strap), because the 8 rounds were placed a little more towards the edge of the cylinder.

Question rephrased: can I buy a regular 27 or 28 and convert it without rebarreling it? What would I need?

I checked into that several years ago with bad new..... :( The 8 shot N frames have the barrel offset about .005 thousandths up. The way I found this is when I had a 8 3/8 barrel off of a Mo. 27 put on my 8shot. The lower part of the ejector rod housing had to be relieved about .005thousandths for the ejector rod to slide in and out. Subsequently when I had a 6 1/2 in bbl put on another gun it had to have the same treatment. I think obviously the hand and star are different as well. I think that is most of the differences, but I am sure that I missed something that one of the boys will pick up ;)

Regards,

DougC

I checked into that several years ago with bad new..... :( The 8 shot N frames have the barrel offset about .005 thousandths up. The way I found this is when I had a 8 3/8 barrel off of a Mo. 27 put on my 8shot. The lower part of the ejector rod housing had to be relieved about .005thousandths for the ejector rod to slide in and out. Subsequently when I had a 6 1/2 in bbl put on another gun it had to have the same treatment. I think obviously the hand and star are different as well. I think that is most of the differences, but I am sure that I missed something that one of the boys will pick up ;)

Regards,

DougC

Hey Doug ?? are you sure about that .005 ??? I don't have my measurments wit me but

I think it's more the 2 hairs thickness :D

Anyways, different hand fer sure, it's relived on the inboard side like the 10 shot 617's

Star's only diff is 8 rachets instead of 6 (well "only" is a big deal)

Awwww, cmon Dave! Gimme a break, I am not a number fiend like you :D I might be off a little, that is for sure :lol: I know there was a difference that had to be changed on the old barrels, that is all I know for sure! I know that Randy or some other Revo Gurus will assist me in my machining incompetence ;) ....off to the Den of Manliness to load more ammo.... :ph34r:

I have a M28 that was converted to 8 shot by Charlie Prest of RPM. (Charlie is no where to befound these days) This is the same kind of gun Vic P used to use for a few years in the IRC.

Anyway, He took my M28 frame and made a special offset barrel bushing to locate the barrel +.0225" above centerline. Instead of the normal .640 X 36TPI N Frame barrel, Charlie used a .562 X 36TPI L frame barrel to fit the offset bushing.

I was also told that a custom firing pin bushing was also installed.

Note: I was having problems of the firing pin breaking at the top (the part that covers the little spring) till I would relieve this area a bit and the bottom of the pin to accomodate the ability or need for the pin to pivot a little further.

The cylinder was a custom made for .38 super and the ratchet was also custom. Ratchet looks similar to the newer style kind of like a twisted octapus. The supplied moonclips were stamped and needed a bit for romancing to function. I have switched to Hearthco clips. Much better quality and function.

So yes there is an offset to the barrel center line.

DougC,

Interesting that you only found .005" difference. Was it the lower part of the ejector rod shroud that was interfering? Wouldn't that indicate the frame is offset? Did you guage the barrel and cylinder to see if they were in line? Are you using this 8 shot that you changed the barrel M27 61/2". If so, is the gun shaving bullets? Is this gun accurate. I am asking because I want to change the 5" barrel on my 627 to a M27/28 6" barrel. I love the look of the older model 6.5" M27/28.

Sorry, I have alot of questions since I already own a custom/converted 8 shot I would like to find out some of the differences of the S&W factor offerings.

Maybe Randy Lee or Dave Hearth could shed some light on this?

I did ask Dave Hearth about this very subject a few years ago and he said that there is a difference between the M27/28 6-shots compared to the Modern 8 shots besides the number of rounds.

Dave told me:

"The dimensions are different. You can't just take cylinder and barrel from an 8 shot and put them in the 6 shot frame. If that was the case we would all just do that."

RPM...you can do a switch barrel with a 627 using a 27/28 barrel, as Doug stated you will

need to relieve the ejector rod cut out on the bottom., I just used a .250 diameter ball end

mill and cleaned it up till I could swing out the cyl. without it hitting.

Doug and I have both done what you are looking to do, I have a Model 27 6.5 barrel on a

627 frame and everything lines up fine (except for the rod part)

You'll need to go to the crane lock ball since with the offset you can't use the plunger

arrangment of the 27 barrel.

I call mine my "franken gun", worn blued barrel, stainless frame and cylinder,

it's different :P

OH !! one other thing I'd like to add, the back face of my brl is fairly large, so large that

the face is visible above the scallop cuts of the cylinder. I feel this is bad since every once

in while i feel stuff being spit back at me when I shoot this gun, I have the same thing

happen when I shoot my 617 so I'm not worried. I checked my other revo's and none of

them have any of that face showing in there stock configuration.

And accuracy is fine by the way.

Thanks for the info guys! I saw this beautful LNIB model 27 for $240 lying around, so naturally I felt the urge to cut it up and turn it in to an ugly POS like all my other guns :D

Too bad it's not a simple process like I hoped :( With the PC guns going for around $1800/2000 around here, it would have been nice...

10mmdave,

Thanks for the information. I can get my barrel swap underway. B)

"Frankengun" that good. I have also heard "salt and pepper" The barrel I have is brand new. I am going to have some of the face or better "sides" of the barrel cut down so it will not protrude past the cylinder scallops and blend with the gun.

I am going to have my 627 hardchromed after I swap the barrel. I would really like blued metal but stainless does take bluing.

spook,

Yeah too bad M27/28 swaps are not bolt-ons. I am hurting for you man... I can't see spending $1000 for a new gun then another $200-700 in action work and optics, grips, clips, brass, bullets, holster, holders....Oh sorry...I got carried away.

I have wanted to do that swap for over 7 years. :(

But alas, since the swap was not possible I spent the money on a production 8 shot and went from there.

Great to know accuracy is fine. Now, if I can just get back to the range and shoot these guns I keep building...

Renny