Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning A5

Brian Payne

Has anyone converted a Browning A5 into a 3-gun shotgun?

I was thinking of different ideas for a backup to my Rem. 1100 in case it were to go down at a match. I planned on driving to the different matches instead of flying, leaving me enough room for another weapon.

While playing with different ideas I happened to pick up my old Browning A5 and found that it had the auto load feature, then reading Patrick Sweeneys book I see that he rates it very high for reliability. This gun is recoil operated instead of the more modern gas operated Browning Golds.

Anyone know how much it would cost to cut down the barrel? Where to get a magazine extention? Any other parts I would need to look at replacing to make it work?

I don't like the idea of molesting this gun since it is a family hand-me-down, but I see numerous ones for sale on gunbroker going for pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Do a search, Patrick Sweeney has an old thread on A5 conversions, and I sent him an e-mail on this once. For the extended mag he was using a mag tube off of some Remington knock-off of the A-5. Numrich has them, at least they did at the time I was considering it.

Probably for the money a used 1100 would be better.

Do a search, Patrick Sweeney has an old thread on A5 conversions, and I sent him an e-mail on this once. For the extended mag he was using a mag tube off of some Remington knock-off of the A-5. Numrich has them, at least they did at the time I was considering it.

Probably for the money a used 1100 would be better.

IIRC that Remi would be a Model 11 and I've seen short barreled versions in several gun racks for very reasonable money. Very...Bonnie & Clyde-like

Edited by Middle Man