Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Protocol For Lost In Shipping?

I've sold and purchased many things on this forum and on others. As most of you know, you can find very good deals.

Well, I purchased a front sight, paid for it and waited 2 1/2 weeks. It didn't show up so I contacted the seller who says he shipped it. We both agree to give it another week or so just in case it gets returned to seller or whatever. That time has run out now.

Before I contact the seller again for a discussion on a resolution, just wanted to ask all y'all what you think a reasonable outcome would be? There was no discussion on insurance, etc.

1. seller takes full loss

2. buyer takes full loss

3. seller and buyer split loss?

I've sold and purchased many things on this forum and on others. As most of you know, you can find very good deals.

Well, I purchased a front sight, paid for it and waited 2 1/2 weeks. It didn't show up so I contacted the seller who says he shipped it. We both agree to give it another week or so just in case it gets returned to seller or whatever. That time has run out now.

Before I contact the seller again for a discussion on a resolution, just wanted to ask all y'all what you think a reasonable outcome would be? There was no discussion on insurance, etc.

1. seller takes full loss

2. buyer takes full loss

3. seller and buyer split loss?

As the seller I assume liability for the arrival of the product I sell unless the cutomer doesnt want to pay for insurance or insists on shipping it in a way it cant be insured. Then I explain to them that if its lost it is their loss not mine.

I just had an incident where i shipped a 266.00 package with no extra insurance(UPS includes 100.00 coverage in the base price). It appears this guy has a new neighbor and 2 packages went missing off his porch. If UPS doesnt get a signature they are responsible. They are paying the 100.00 but I am loosing on the rest. I reshipped the product to the customers work address. I was doing this since its been 5 years and some 30,000 plus packages since they lost one(pretty good odds, and they didnt really loose it) and they recently increased the insurance where the first extra 100.00 is 1.20. Trying to save the customer money on insurance cost me.

In your case if insurance wasnt talked about then I would split it. If it was then the responsibilty lies with whoever didnt want to do insurance. The seller is usually responsible to bring it up and make sure the mailing can be documented or insured.

As the seller I assume liability for the arrival of the product I sell unless the cutomer doesnt want to pay for insurance or insists on shipping it in a way it cant be insured. Then I explain to them that if its lost it is their loss not mine.

I just had an incident where i shipped a 266.00 package with no extra insurance(UPS includes 100.00 coverage in the base price). It appears this guy has a new neighbor and 2 packages went missing off his porch. If UPS doesnt get a signature they are responsible. They are paying the 100.00 but I am loosing on the rest. I reshipped the product to the customers work address. I was doing this since its been 5 years and some 30,000 plus packages since they lost one(pretty good odds, and they didnt really loose it) and they recently increased the insurance where the first extra 100.00 is 1.20. Trying to save the customer money on insurance cost me.

In your case if insurance wasnt talked about then I would split it. If it was then the responsibilty lies with whoever didnt want to do insurance. The seller is usually responsible to bring it up and make sure the mailing can be documented or insured.

Thanks, Chuck. You've got e-mail, btw.

I never ship anything without insurance for the full replacement value +.

My understanding is that most shipping companies have a standard loss policy of some sort and may pay if the shipment can be proved to have actually happened. You may only recoup up to the stated loss maximum though unless you specified an insurable amount at time of shipping.

Man Chuck you're lucky!

For me, a seller, the company eats the loss, takes the standard $100 and I eat the commssion dollars. Sometimes the damaged merchandise is a $700.00 rilfe and sometimes its just a $175.00 busted up case of ammo.

But what I really love are the tire marks on the shipping boxes! That's more fun than the packages that disappear into blackholes.