Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner Production(g34) Equipment Recommendations

TimWarner

I am going to start shooting production this summer, and I'm looking for a basic setup.

Right now I have a Wilderness belt, and a 2-mag Comp-tac holder.

All of my holsters are IWB and I'd like something a little easier to get at.

I've read through some threads here on production equipment, but I usually get the different mag holders/holsters confused. The only thing I think I've decided on is the Speedcomp mag holders, that face the mags out away from my body. That way I can also use them if I start shooting Open as well.

For holsters, I'm not totally clear on what is legal and what's not. I've been looking at the Fobus holsters, as well as a Comp-tac.

Thanks in advance.

Drop/offset holsters are legal for production?

I've never used one, but it seems like it would make clearing the holster with a longer pistol a bit easier.

How well do paddle holsters work? I don't really like the idea, but if no one has had problems with them, it may be an option.

I'm looking right now at the DOH, and the Comp-tac paddle holster. The Kytac website seems to be really slow/not working.

I prefer the Comp-tac belt holster. Great holster, great company. I also have the bladetech DOH, and actually prefer the comptac. The comptac has just a little nub that for the trigger guard that secures the gun, but the bladetech has a large indentation for the trigger guard. I prefer the comptac because I like to melt the nub down for smoother draw.

Highly recommend getting a CR Speed belt. Much more stable than the wilderness.

Cheers,

-br

I ordered a blade-tech DOH, but I may end up trying a comp-tac as well.

The wilderness belt I have, is what I wear every day. I plan on getting a CR belt when I order my CR speed holster. I should have both before local matches start up.

My fiance needs some convincing though, I keep telling her the startup cost for IPSC is higher than GSSF, but the matches are cheaper since I don't have to travel(yet).

Any advice on how to pass off equipment as a "necessary expense"?

Any advice on how to pass off equipment as a "necessary expense"?

"he wilderness belt I have, is what I wear every day. "

I sometimes wear my CR Speed inner belt. And, keep my Production rig setup on the outer belt.

It can make for a quick setup for "home defense." ;)

[if all else fails...ask her how many pairs of black shoes she 'needs'.]

well, in "our" closet... there's so many clothes and shoes that my clothing has to share space with my safe in a closet in the basement.

I could say... you have 10 pair of shoes, so I can have a holster, belt, etc.

Though at that rate, I'd have more holsters than guns to put in them. That's another problem in itself.

Isn't it funny that if we buy tools there are no questions asked. I mean She never asks me how many hammers I need and I have 5 or 6 and can only swing one at a time. But when you go to buy another gun, "how many guns do you NEED?"

Now my wife competes with me and she even encouraged me to order a new gun from Dan (which I did). Now she wants an open blaster...I knew there was an alterior motive!

Buy her a new piece of jewelry and yourself some new gear.

You need the CR Speed belt so that you can keep your entire production rig in one place. I have mine set up - holster and mag pouches - so that I just grab the rig and my range bag and I'm out the door.

Just imagine all the quality time you will save - quality time to spend with your wife - by not having to put your hoster and mag carriers on, and then take them off again, for every match. Thus, you need the CR belt for HER benefit. Good luck with that.

-brian reynolds

Ok, so...

What I need still:

2 CR speed belts, one for prod, one for open

4 more speedcomp mag pouches

Ghost holster w/carver mount mod

4 140mm extensions

1 170mm extension

I have a bladetech DOH kydex coming, as well as some speedcomp pouches, so for production all I need is a belt.

How many mags should I carry? I was thinking 3 on the belt should be enough. That would put me at 68/9 rounds, depending if I used a stripper mag and got the +1

Edited by TimWarner

Just buy one CR belt and set yourself up for production. Don't bother trying to set up your G34 for open. I just do not think it is practical or practicable to try to switch one G34 back and forth between production and open. You will not be competitive in open.

Because of the production division ten round limit, I wear five mag pouches on my belt, but I do use pouch #5 for my first mag loaded with 11 rounds.

USPSA should does not need to be any more expensive than IDPA GSSF or any other sport, although it sure can be. Try production with your G34 for a year. You'll love it.

Cheers,

-br

Just buy one CR belt and set yourself up for production. Don't bother trying to set up your G34 for open. I just do not think it is practical or practicable to try to switch one G34 back and forth between production and open. You will not be competitive in open.

Because of the production division ten round limit, I wear five mag pouches on my belt, but I do use pouch #5 for my first mag loaded with 11 rounds.

USPSA should does not need to be any more expensive than IDPA GSSF or any other sport, although it sure can be. Try production with your G34 for a year. You'll love it.

Cheers,

-br

I believe Tim is going to use the 34 for Production and his modified 17 for Open.