Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M3

I've been shooting an M3 Super 90 for the past few months. At the Tucson 3 Gun match this past weekend, the ability to switch to pump on the M3 saved my ass on the first shotgun stage. The gun is probably getting dirty to the point where it doesn't want to work with lighter loads, so the first round I fired short stroked. I immediately switched to pump and completed the stage with no extra hassle.

I am curious why these guns aren't more common, as the ability to switch to pump just in case something goes wrong (either stops cycling or bolt handle flies off) seems to be very useful?

On another note, does anyone know if the Arredondo tec-loader docking port/chute made for the M1 will work with the M3?

Edited by SinistralRifleman

How was the match? I had to miss it and was in a bad mood all weekend.

I have an M3 and at one time I installed a Tec loader bracket on it. Since the Arrendondo chute fits over the bracket to keep it legal I would have to say it does.

Neal in AZ

How was the match? I had to miss it and was in a bad mood all weekend.

I have an M3 and at one time I installed a Tec loader bracket on it. Since the Arrendondo chute fits over the bracket to keep it legal I would have to say it does.

Neal in AZ

The match was ok...I posted a review over on AZ shooting http://www.arizonashooting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7577

The guns are to heavy & clean your auto benelli every 400 rds & your good to go.

I won't dispute I should probably clean the gun more often.

re: weight though, according to the Benelli website the M3 is only 0.4 pounds heavier than an identically configured M1. weighing an M1 vs M3 here we had similar results. The M3 comes with a 19.75 inch barrel, while the M1 has an 18.5"...that could account for a few ounces there.

SR:

If I had a Benelli M3, I could shoot it in semi-auto mode in the Limited (Standard) Division, and then also shoot it as a pump in the Heavy Metal (He-man) Division if I so choose? This would be legal?

Is the M3 as easy to load as an M1. How is the recoil, just like the M1? or is this gas operated? Magazine extensions available to make it 8+1?

I was looking for a back-up shotgun for my 1100 for Limited. If this gun fits the bill for both divisions it might be worth looking at.

Thanks in advance.

SR:

If I had a Benelli M3, I could shoot it in semi-auto mode in the Limited (Standard) Division, and then also shoot it as a pump in the Heavy Metal (He-man) Division if I so choose? This would be legal?

I don't know, you'd have to ask your match director about that.

Is the M3 as easy to load as an M1. How is the recoil, just like the M1? or is this gas operated? Magazine extensions available to make it 8+1?

loading is the same. recoil seems to be the same. The main difference in the operating system is the recoil spring rides around the magazine tube rather than in the tube coming off the back end of the reciever. The pump action is actually spring assisted forward by the recoil spring, so you might be able to shoot it faster than a regular pump gun.

The bolt also locks open on the last shot in pump mode, so you know it's empty.

I put an M1 magazine extension on mine and it lets me hold 8 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Other guys I know that have M3s, can't swap out for different tube lengths and are stuck with 7+1. Mine can't hold a shell on the carrier, but my boss' M3 can.

Edited by SinistralRifleman