Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stop Function/procedures

kheil

I am quite new to IPSC competition! (Also this forum) At the last match (My third) with a new springfield (first matchwith this gun), I had problems which I think are attributable to my trigger finger pushing on the slide stop when "loading and making ready" I know some guns have a spring in the frame to engage a groove in the slide stop which makes it more difficult to remove accidentally. Would it be possible to machine a groove on the end of the slide stop and install an "E" clip to keep it in position, or should I just learn a new handling technique? I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Edited by kheil

I am quite new to IPSC competition! (Also this forum) At the last match (My third) with a new springfield (first matchwith this gun), I had problems which I think are attributable to my trigger finger pushing on the slide stop when "loading and making ready" I know some guns have a spring in the frame to engage a groove in the slide stop which makes it more difficult to remove accidentally. Would it be possible to machine a groove on the end of the slide stop and install an "E" clip to keep it in position, or should I just learn a new handling technique? I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

The slide stop should not move unless lined up with the notch at near the full rearward position.?? More experienced will chime in with better answers.

Welcome to the Forums. :D

The slide stop should not move unless lined up with the notch at near the full rearward position.?? More experienced will chime in with better answers.

Welcome to the Forums. :D

I had the same thing happen to me, not so long ago -- what occurs is that during LAMR, if one's trigger finger is indexed along the side of the frame with enough pressure, in just the right position, it's possible to push the slide-stop pin inwards (or flush with the frame) when you rack the slide.

The consequences of this are most interesting a few seconds later, when the 'beep' sounds. :)

Only happened once, and a more experienced shooter quickly identified the issue.

Don't know why the stupid pin isn't flush to begin with, on the opposite side of the pistol. <shrug>

Edited by boo radley

While I have never had the stop come out I have pushed it such that it is not against the left side of the frame. (and therefore riding on the "inside" of the slide) What I have found works for me is, as part of the load and make ready command is to push the slide stop in to make sure it is in.

This is one of those things which if one was watching me they would think I am "wasting" a bunch of time at the LAMR command. Well, tough, I make sure my gun is ready to go no matter how long it takes. :D

Another alternative is to have the slide stop pin shortened to be flush with the frame on the right side. My local gun smith did this to one of my 1911's. He also recesed the frame a bit so that I could still push the pin out with my finger by pushing into this recess. However, even with this mod I still make sure that the slide stop is pushed in at LAMR... ;)

Hope this helps,

Ira

A detent on the other side of the slide stop is often put on a 1911 to keep it from locking back prematurally and I think would also help out with this problem. Its just a divot in the slide stop that the plunger pin goes into. By the way the plunger pin has a spring that can be stretched a little or replaced to give a little more force.

I don't think I would do the e-clip. I think training and experience will help a little too.

I have had this problem also, with my Edge. I finally broke down and dremeled the right side of the slide stop flat and slightly recessed in the frame. I then dremeled a small detent on the left side for the plunger pin to engage. So far, so good! I think I cured the problem. BTW, my ss had already been deactivated before this problem started occuring. I just haven't had much luck "training" my trigger finger not to rest on the tip end of the ss, when not actually shooting.

Larry