Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With First Glock

Jeremiah

Well, I just ordered my new Glock M19 last night from topglock.com ($467 shipped.) I think I made a good choice for what I want to do with the gun. I have also looked into reloading components and worked up some numbers for cost for a box of ammo compared to the cheap factory stuff. I came up with saving about $1 to $1.50 depending on if I bought brass or not. That's using a 115 grain load. The reload was a winchester bulk bullet and the cheapest factory stuff I found was either CCI blazer or Wolf. Maybe this isn't the place for the question, but is there a cheaper load out there for 9 mm?

Jeremiah,

If you're thinking of getting into reloading for no other reason than to save money on 9mm, then you'd be better off sticking with CCI and Winchester White Box (from Walmart). It's a decent round, and if you figure in the cost of purchasing new equipment, it's really hard to justify the cost and time involved for ONLY 9mm. Just to give you an idea of what I mean... if you were to buy 100 pieces of 9mm Winchester brass, it'll cost about $12, vs. about $14 for 100 loaded rounds of Winchester White box. It's almost like Winchester is throwing in the bullet for free, and you don't have to spend the time making the round... and if you're like me, you consider your time to be money. Then again, if you can get the brass for free, it'll start paying for itself a lot faster.

Now, if you're not so much concerned with cost but just want a HIGHER QUALITY bullet, then order a Dillon from Brian right away! :D You'll not only be satisfied with the results, but once you start reloading for that .45 of yours, it'll pay for the equipment very quickly.

Since I don't like to trust range left-overs, I'll personally buy WWB, convince myself that it's "free brass" after using it that first time, and then reload the hell out of it. 125 grain Zero JHP's over 4.2ish grains of Titegroup seems to be the magic load for 9mm and Glocks. It's also a relatively inexpensive load if you're planning to use jacketed bullets exclusively. PM me if you'd like to know the cheaper places to get the powder and bullets, as I'll have to check my records back at home, probably tomorrow night...

John

Hey John, I think you got the wrong idea. I'm already a reloader, and my stuff is all paid for by the amount of 45's I have chucked out! :)

I can load 9mm for $3.97 per box. (that's at wholesale prices and paying $10 per K for brass) Do you know of somewhere else that I could work up a minor load cheaper?

Well, in that case... who's the hook up with your brass, dude? I need some! :lol:

Edited by jkrispies

Well, I just ordered my new Glock M19 last night from topglock.com ($467 shipped.) I think I made a good choice for what I want to do with the gun. I have also looked into reloading components and worked up some numbers for cost for a box of ammo compared to the cheap factory stuff. I came up with saving about $1 to $1.50 depending on if I bought brass or not. That's using a 115 grain load. The reload was a winchester bulk bullet and the cheapest factory stuff I found was either CCI blazer or Wolf. Maybe this isn't the place for the question, but is there a cheaper load out there for 9 mm?

Jeremiah,

If you're thinking of getting into reloading for no other reason than to save money on 9mm, then you'd be better off sticking with CCI and Winchester White Box (from Walmart). It's a decent round, and if you figure in the cost of purchasing new equipment, it's really hard to justify the cost and time involved for ONLY 9mm. Just to give you an idea of what I mean... if you were to buy 100 pieces of 9mm Winchester brass, it'll cost about $12, vs. about $14 for 100 loaded rounds of Winchester White box. It's almost like Winchester is throwing in the bullet for free, and you don't have to spend the time making the round... and if you're like me, you consider your time to be money. Then again, if you can get the brass for free, it'll start paying for itself a lot faster.

Now, if you're not so much concerned with cost but just want a HIGHER QUALITY bullet, then order a Dillon from Brian right away! :D You'll not only be satisfied with the results, but once you start reloading for that .45 of yours, it'll pay for the equipment very quickly.

Since I don't like to trust range left-overs, I'll personally buy WWB, convince myself that it's "free brass" after using it that first time, and then reload the hell out of it. 125 grain Zero JHP's over 4.2ish grains of Titegroup seems to be the magic load for 9mm and Glocks. It's also a relatively inexpensive load if you're planning to use jacketed bullets exclusively. PM me if you'd like to know the cheaper places to get the powder and bullets, as I'll have to check my records back at home, probably tomorrow night...

John

Hey John, I think you got the wrong idea. I'm already a reloader, and my stuff is all paid for by the amount of 45's I have chucked out! :)

I can load 9mm for $3.97 per box. (that's at wholesale prices and paying $10 per K for brass) Do you know of somewhere else that I could work up a minor load cheaper?

Well, in that case... who's the hook up with your brass, dude? I need some! :lol:

Well, unfortunately, I just checked out my hook up, and it's not longer available. It used to be HQ Brass here in Ohio. I could go over and pick up once fired polished brass for $10 per K. Not any more, the website says 9 mm is no longer available. That's a bummer, dude. :)

I'll have to go check my back up now, brassmanbrass.com, if I remember right, he had once fired 9 mm for not to much more plus shipping.

What is the cheapest bullets out there?

"Cheap" isn't the right word, but a place with good prices on quality bullets is www.shootersconnection.com.

You might also check out www.precisionbullets.com. I've never used them myself, but I hear they're good bullets at close to lead prices, but without the mess.

Raniers are cheap, plated, and some folks like 'em. I wasn't particularly impressed, though.

You could try precision deltas, they work good for my .40 and they are pretty reasonable priced. But personally my time is worth more than 1 dollar per hundred, and there is also a disaster factor with reloading. Especially with a glock that has a little more play in the chamber than most other guns. I would say shoot the cci blazer or winchester wb. But of course do what you want to do. just my 2 cents.

pk