Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Sight?

HercPilot

About 20 years ago I had a SA 1911 turned into a carry gun by a well known smith. He made it accurate and reliable and it has given me many years of dutiful service. The only thing we differed on was my choice of sights. Since I was the customer he installed sights that he didn't care for. Now 20 years later I'm ready to put a new set of sights on the gun. He isn't still active in gunsmithing. Will any smiths work on guns that were previously modified? Which sights do I choose from the 100's that are now available? How should I proceed? Thanks, post-7431-1138584266_thumb.jpgpost-7431-1138584314_thumb.jpg

PS..The thumb safety was just replaced, the original blended and matched much better.

Edited by HercPilot

I want to get something that will work at night. I've looked at all the sights I just don't know how to actually see some for real before I proceed.

Go to a few gunshops in your area and browes around a bit.

Those sights are Millet. The rear is in the stock dovetail, so there is no problem with material for installing any thing you want. The front, if it is the Millet Dual Crimp is another matter. The Dual Crimp has 2 holes drilled through the slide, which means you either stay with the Dual Crimp, or have the holes Tig welded and a dovetail cut for another sight.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I have a plan:

1) Do some store visits and look at guns and sights. :)

2)Find a gunsmith who welds and mills new dovetails. :mellow:

3)Shoot my gun with the new sights as much as possible. :D

Doesn't sound too bad does it? Will it be tough to find a gunsmith that welds up holes and does this kind of work?

Thanks,

HercPilot