Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Frames

Airic

I just bought a G17 (couldnt pass up the deal I found :D ) I already own a G22. To me these two guns seem exactly the same save the barrel. Is it safe to switch the frames between slide assemblys?

My G22 slide seems to function fine on the frame that came w/ the G17 and vice versa.

The small frame Glocks are interchangeable as long as from the same caliber to another ie..17-34 or 22-35. Same goes with the large frames.

However, the 9mm and .40 have different ejectors and (extractors?) So I would advise against trying to fire it unless it has the caliber specific parts in it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that older model 9mm frames only have one pin above the trigger. The 40 frames have 2 pins (the second, higher pin goes through the locking block for extra strength). So I wouldn't put a 40 top on a 9 frame - but the other way around should be OK.

I have (and have spoken with others who did as well) had no trouble taking my Mod 17 top and putting on my Mod 35 frame. Didn't change any other parts (so left the 40 ejector in place in the frame) and it functioned just fine for the test firing that I did. I think if I were to leave it in this configuration, I would change the ejector to be the correct caliber.

The ejector is not par tof the frame, but a separate part which is easily interchanged if you know how. It would be more proper to refer to the ejector as part of the "lower".

The frames have undergone a subtle change in the configuration of the metal rails - if you look at the point on the inside of the frame where the slide contacts in full recoil, you will see metal on the newer frames. Only this new style frame is rated for the 357 sig cartridge. In fact, the last time I took the armorer's course, the instructor metioned that you need to inform Glock of the serial number of the gun a .357 SIG bbl will be used in if you are ordering that as a separate part, so they can verify the frame is properly rated for that caliber.

Hmm, ok, well it was just a thought. I wouldnt really ever have a real reason to do it. B)

It's a *good* thought, IMO, and one reason might be to have a working back-up (or at least part of a back-up).

I have a G34 and when I bought a G35, I would take the upper off the G34, and stick the frame in my range bag at matches. Oh, I also bought a spare trigger housing/ejector pin, since the pin is slightly different -- one is bent, the other is straight.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a G22 upper in like new shape, so I put that on my G34's frame, with the proper ejector, and now I have a *complete* back-up in .40S&W, for a moderate price.

Just make sure all the frames are the latest generation (ie, 3-pin), buy the appropriate trigger housing/ejector (a cheap part), and you're all set.

A Glock .40 caliber ejector (trigger housing) will work just fine with 9mm.....

However, DO NOT USE A 9mm EJECTOR/TRIGGER HOUSING with a .40 upper. You run the risk of the ejector striking the primer on a round.

As mentioned before, just make sure you have the 3-pin frame when shooting the .40 upper.

Just a stupid question from a brand new Glock shooter.

" 3 pin frame "is in reference to the total number of pins , as in two over the trigger and one at the rear of the grip that holds in the trigger housing ?

Travis F.