Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Case Lube Question

PFISTO

Morning,

Just wondering as I just started using case lube which I spray in a plastic bag then add cases and shake. It really helps to smooth the process. My question is do I have to wipe them down before I shoot them. this is for a 45

Thanks Mike

I use One-Shot on my cases before reloading, and never clean them prior to shooting. Some folks do; some don't. It's never given me any problem and the additional lube during feeding might even help.

Some shooters even go to the trouble of lubing their rounds just before loading their mags.

Not my idea but one that I have adoped lately is that after loading with Hornady One Shot I clean the cases. Lay out a bath towel and spray with Iso alcohol, put loaded rounds on the towel and spray rounds, fold towel in half and rub. Quick process and takes off the lube. I have heard of some that had problems with the lube building up in their magazines, while I have never had this happen, I want my mags to feed as smoothly as possible.

In the Lenny MaGill video with Brian Enos on reloading, Brian suggested tumbling the finished rounds to take off the lube. I shoot a hollow point design and the media was sticking in the hollow point so I went with the alcohol technique. If I shot a FMJ, I would just tumble them.

Rick

When using One shot (The only lube I have found I can stand working with) I have had great luck spraying silicone spray "LPS" on a towel dumping the rounds on the towel spraying the rounds, folding it in half and running them back and fourth cleaning the gunk and one shot as well as slicking them up for great feeding.

It is amazing how much grime comes off the rounds on the towl even though the cases were spotless before the reloading process, it looks like the resizing process removes some tarnish, the silicone spray cleans them nicely, leaves them slick for good feeding in hicap mags and seems to preserve the nice shiny finish from tarnish.