Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

28" Barrel Okay For Limited?

syme71

Want to get into 3-gun this year and have pretty much settled on Benelli M2. Most people I have spoken with strongly recommend a 21" barrel. Local shop has a Benelli M2 field with a 28" barrel. No one stocks 21" barrel and is apparently difficult to get from Benelli - (had three local NJ dealers tell me this). Can I go with the 28" or hold out for a 21". I do plan to shoot trap occasionally so I figure the 28" won't hurt.

Edited by syme71

For Trap, you will need the 28" barrel. Go ahead and get a tube extension that will allow 10 shells in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Loading it full would bump you to Open, but many local side matches don't split Divisions, or have pumps as a seperate category. Most matches with a Limited, Standard, or Tactical Division would allow you to simply load 8 in the tube at start; otherwised, you can put a -2 plug (usually included with a new shotgun) behind the spring to physically limit it to 8 shells.

I have a Remington 870 with a 10-shell tube and a 28" barrel. I find that the extra weight of the 28" barrel might slow me down only slightly, but it can be really annoying if a stage designer combines rear fault lines with barricades. So if you are planning to win HOA, a 21" or 22" barrel is better. Otherwise, just have fun with your 28" Open/Limited/Trap shotgun.

Under USPSA rules, there is no rule stating barrel length for Limited, Tactical, Open, etc. However, if you shoot The Mystery Mountain 3 gun match, Rocky Mountain 3 gun, or other 3-gun match that does not adhere to the USPSA rules, you will be bumped to open for having a barrel in excess of I believe 22". When I shot the SSMM3G match, I shot Open with my Gold but when I went to the 3G nationals, I shot in Tactical class with it. It really depends on which game you want to shoot that will determine barrel length.

Vince

In IPSC or USPSA your 28" barrel is fine for limited and whilst it may not be the perfect length it is unlikely so slow you down to a degree that you find quantifiable at this stage. I know a lot of people who shoot Limited with 28" barreled guns and they do just fine.

With regards big outlaw 3 gun matches like SMM the rules are starting to evolve, like in IPSC, where the barrel length no longer matters but the initial load is restricted - at SMM this year the initial load cannot be more than 9 in the gun. This is making it easier for people who have guns like yours to come and play in those kind of matches and is a sensible rule.

Your 28" barrel is good to go - now just go shoot and have fun ! :D

If you want a 21" barrel they can be found. You may still want to way out the multi-purpose decision but used longer barrels are eaiser to find.

I just purchased a NIB 21" M2 from Marc at http://www.murphyshotguns.com/ . He had the best price I could find and it was in stock. His Gun Broker name is A50Caliber and normally has a few Benelli's listed.

Good Luck Shopping