Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Accesories

IanLock

Hi everyone,

I am going to get a new Glock 17 at the end of feb, to use in 3 gun. (Tac scope) smm3g.

I dont think im guna have time to get it to a smith in the time im out there for.

Can anyone recommend mag base pads, springs, mag releaces, etc that can be done by me quite quickly and cheaply.

when you guys say a drop in trigger, is it litterally a drop in unit or have you got to do other stuff to it.??

This will be my first time with a Glock so be gental. ;):huh:

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am going to get a new Glock 17 at the end of feb, to use in 3 gun. (Tac scope) smm3g.

I dont think im guna have time to get it to a smith in the time im out there for.

Can anyone recommend mag base pads, springs, mag releaces, etc that can be done by me quite quickly and cheaply.

when you guys say a drop in trigger, is it litterally a drop in unit or have you got to do other stuff to it.??

This will be my first time with a Glock so be gental. ;):huh:

Thanks.

I don't know much, and am qualified to comment on even less. However. :)

In my experience I'm discovering that the good thing about Glocks is that they're easy to work on, and the bad thing about Glocks is that they're easy to work on, and there's no end to the money one can piss away in dribbles, on parts and accessories you can install yourself....

That said, here is my short list of things I've tried on my two Glocks (well, 3, really, since I just bought a G22 upper) -- a G34 and G35, which have the same frame as the G17.

Things I couldn't imagine doing without:

a) Sights. Easy DIY-install, but you'll need a way of drifting the rear-sight in with a hammer and punch. I like the Dawson FO front/Heine plain rear.

b ) Eric W's "TruGrip" grip tape.

Things I really like, but have had minor issues with (very possibly user error, so YMMV).

a ) RSotelo's Trigger Kit. Have two of them; they're amazing. They're drop-in in that you don't have to fit/file/cut anything, and simply replace existing parts. On the G17 you'll also need a 3.5-lb connector, too. There are other excellent kits out there, but this is the only one I've tried.

b ) Tungsten guide rod and reduced spring -- nothing you'd need, I don't think, with 9mm.

Things I bought and resold -- simply didn't seem worth it to me.

a ) KKM barrel (bought two, still have the 9mm but sold the .40S&W). Super nice barrel, and looks gorgeous, but the tighter-than-OEM chamber can getcha' if you reload, and in the G35 I didn't notice a lot of difference in accuracy. That said, it seems to have helped the accuracy in my G34 (9mm).

b ) THE magwell. Heavy sucker. Didn't like how it affected the balance.

I'm still tempted by the Dawson Ice magwell, however, though so far I'm resisting.

Anyway -- my $.02.

Sights - Whatever you like. The new Dawson fixed sights look nice. I use Dawson

Adjustables and like them. A small hammer and some wood or delrin to beat on is

needed.

Springs - either a 13lb or 15 lb ISMI spring and ISMI guide rod. The stock spring works

just fine, however.

Trigger - visit www.triggerkit.com. They do drop in and for a G17 you'll need the 3.5lb

connector. And a take down tool.

Mag release - get the extended stock release - visit www.triggerkit.com. Cheap and it

works.

Base Pads - Arredondo +2 and +5 are quick to remove, and work well.

Grip tape - DIY or Rhino Grip from triggerkit.com is what I use. Eric Wesselman's are

popular too.

Good luck and have fun. :D

thanks guys

Question: I can understand how the rear site comes off, with a drift pin of some discriptionj, but how the hell does the front sight come off???

I always thought that theyt were part of the slide and cast as one?? if that makes sense???

thanks guys

Question: I can understand how the rear site comes off, with a drift pin of some discriptionj, but how the hell does the front sight come off???

I always thought that theyt were part of the slide and cast as one?? if that makes sense???

Needle-nose pliers. Gentle tug. The front sight is plastic and staked in the oval hole with an expansion fit. <shrug>

If you buy a Dawson front sight (and maybe others - dunno) it's secured with a screw and RED Loctite, and you get a special hex wrench for the job....