Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with titan. safety plunger?

jdgardner

upon disassembly I noticed that the titanium safety plunger was being beaten significantly.  Many peen marks on the lowest part of the upper portion (not the part that protrudes). This is on a Glock 21.  Factory striker. So far hasn't caused a malfunction, but this is the second time I've had to dress with a file and clean up with a stone.  trigger bar seems to push it up out of the way sufficiently. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks, John

JD,

During this past weekend's polishing expedition of my Glock 30 I noticed my firing pin safety plunger has these same peen marks (a factory plunger but I do not know what the material is).  They were not deep, simply noticable.  I went ahead and polished all of the bearing surfaces, put it back together and it shot like a dream.  No problems.

I have some very minor dings on my safety plunger as well.  I can't see anything that would cause them in normal operation, but did notice that the edges where plunger hole meets the firing pin channel are sharp and a little rough.  The damage might be from installation/removal.  

But, if your plunger is that soft, why not put the $3 Glock one back in?  It's tough to believe that the miniscule weight difference is getting you that much mileage versus the consequences of a safety system malfunction.  

Just my $.02,

Eric