Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting In A " New " Gun

JimP

I'm new to the forum - and back into doing some handgunning. I've just picked up one of the new Sig X-Fives 226 model in a .40 S&W and it has a fully adjustable rear sight.

My groups at 21 feet are about 3" - and about the same at 30 feet. At 40 feet they get about 10" and 50 feet - they can be 18" or so. Part of that is eyes ... in my 50's with bifoculs.

Any recommendations on distance to get this new gun dialed in - distance, loads, technique ?

Get some trigger time if you have ben away a wile. The sight in has most to do with what you wont to hit. An old style way is if you wont to hit a say?? a 6"target the sight should be that the bullet hits 3" high at your normal shooting distance = 10 yards? 15 ?yards.

That way you have the entire target sitting ontop of your front sight.

It all depends on what you want to hit and how far you want to hit it.

I agree with TKC. Zero at ten yards and then check your groups at 25 yards.

Take a bunch of ammo and spend the range time just shooting groups!

I keep the target I finish zeroing with and identify the hits (on the target)with the yardage and wether the hits were from the bench/sandbag or free style.

It also adds a little confidence to leave this target visible as you leave the house on match day.

If butchering the English language was a misdomener I would be on Death Row.

Thanks - that all makes sense. The Sig X - Five will certainly shoot better groups than I can shoot offhand ( and all the groups I was talking about were off hand vs on a rest - should have said that I guess). The guns test target was at 25 meters I believe and was easily a 3/4" group.