Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Remove A Stuck Case From A Die?

Bear23

I have an undersized lee die from EGW....Works great for that once fired glock brass i buy.

I had a case separate...I had to pull the toolhead off the 650, remove die and proceeded to grind the case out with my dremel... It was severely corroded at the base.. but the case was clean on the outside (nickel plated)

Any better way to remove a stuck broken case.????

BTW...I recently purchased a case gauge (not dillon) that has 4 calibers marked on it....These tend to loose their tolerance over a few thousand rounds...I don't want to name the manufacturer. I had to go back to the dillon case gauge. just .02$

If the case is still in one piece and you've just pulled off the rim or part of the rim RCBS sells a stuck case removal tool or you can make your own.

Drill through the primer flash hole using a 13/64 or number 7 drill , tap the enlarged flash hole to 1/4-20. Liberally squirt penatrating oil into the die and case. Place a 1/4" drive 1/2" socket over the case. Insert the 1/4-20 bolt through the square drive hole on the socket and thread the bolt into the tapped flash hole. As you tighten down the 1/4-20 bolt the stuck case will be drawn into the 1/2" socket.

If the entire head of the case tears off you'll need a stuck case puller like the high power rifle guys use. It's an expanding collet that goes inside the case, but I don't remember who makes it.

Nolan