Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning my G22

bluemeanie

After reading the "lighter" thread in the gunsprings forum, the question of spring weights for light loads came up.

When I start loading .40, I'll be trying to come up with a soft load (125pf) using a 180 gr bullet. I'm running the factory spring and guide rod setup. Wolff's "calibration pack" seems to be on the heavy side. Once I head to the range, I want to be ready to tune, so who can suggest how to be prepared to do that? What vendor/manufacturer sells springs and guide rods to accomplish this?

I have your site up, viewing now. For wimpy IDPA/steel loads, do you think I should try a 15lb? I guess the stock is a 20, but I'm not sure. After you've taken a dremel and skateboard tape to your frame, the "battering" the gt'ers worry about ceases to concern me.

Any pitfalls to think about when making a change like that, as far as striker spring weight, etc?

(Edited by bluemeanie at 11:15 am on Mar. 29, 2002)

When I shot production with my 10mm, I loaded a 180gr to 830fps (149PF) using a Wolffe 12# recoil spring and a reduced weight striker spring.  Functioned fine, slow but fine.  Brass ejected 12-14" (rock-bottom of my comfort level).

To get down to 125PF you'll need to use a lighter bullet (155,135) to get the slide velocity back up.

Just always use a reduced weight striker spring when using light recoil springs, roger that?

I think I still have a reduced wt striker spring. When I was just running any old factory ammo, I was having trouble lighting some primers (mostly speer). It's gonna be fun wringing it all out with my own bluemeanie-manufactured ammo. Think I'll order a lighter spring and a shiny guide rod from CGR.