Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell Retension

Tweaker

I've got a G35 with a magwell. It fastens through the use of a plug pressed into the grip and then a screw through the bottom of the magwell and into the plug. The problem is that the plug does not stay tightly in the grip. I would add a screw through the lanyard hole into the plug but the magewell screw is too close to the rear, not leaving enough room. How can I correct this? What about using rubber cement on the plug? That's how I got the plug in my G27 to stay but it didn't have a magwell screwed into it.

I believe it is a JP magwell. I've installed the plug with rubber cement. Since it doesn't harden, it won't crack. I would think this would work better than tape. The screw doesn't have to be "tight", just snug enough to remove play. I'll add a drop of blue loctite so that it doesn't come out.

Edited by Tweaker

I'll have to admit my ignorance. I bought the gun used so I didn't have the privelege of building it. When I got it, the plug was pushed into the hole and the screw was barely threaded in. So, I thought the plug was supposed to be pushed snugly into the gun and then the magwell screwed on. I noticed that the screw was barely long enough to catch the threads. Odd. I then tried the rubber cement and it failed quickly. I then realized that since the plug is installed at such an angle, that the magwell could not be removed if it were pulled up tightly against the magwell. Voila! That's how it was designed to be installed and that makes the screw the correct length as well. I'm new to this sport and had never seen one installed. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it:)