Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Semi-temporary Mounting Question

M1Tommy

I’ve heard of some folks mounting their reloading presses in a semi-temporary manner by first bolting the press to a sturdy board, say a 2x10 or 12, then clamping the board to their work bench.

I’ve the following that I’m thinking to mount to one board, then hang everything overhead for out-of-the-way-storage between reloading sessions: A Dillon 650, an RCBS Rock-Chucker, RCBS Uni-Flo powder measure, a Giraud case trimmer. Our garage has a 11’+ ceiling for some reason. It’d be a handful, but I was thinking a couple (4, to keep things level?) eye bolts in the end, and hoisting them overhead when not in use.

Do any of y’all do this? If so, what clamps to use? Would 2, 8” C-clamps suffice? Or, do I need those bigger wood type clamps? Any handy photo’s would be appreciated, for this carpenter-klutz type to plan out his work bench construction. If this doesn’t work well, I’d likely build my work bench a couple-3 ft. longer and dedicate that end as the “reloading area. Space is limited, and a bench I can move later to a shop proper is wanted.

This is just thinking aloud a bit. Advice/opinions are appreciated.

Tommy

Back in my younger days, my brother and I mounted our reloading equipment on wood 4”X4”X10” blocks then we could put them in the vice on dad’s workbench. This worked very well as the bench was 400-500 pounds, thus was rock steady. We had a rack that you could “plug” the 4X4s into when finished. This worked well for single stage presses and we used two Dillon SD machines. If you are going to use something like a 1050/650 with case and or bullet feeder, better plan on not moving it.

If you are going to use something like a 1050/650 with case and or bullet feeder, better plan on not moving it.

I forgot the little thingy poking up atop the 650... the case feeder. Matters'd likely get a little "exciting", trying to hoist it up much.

oh well....... :wacko:

Tommy

I have my 1050 and 650 on short lengths of 2x12, leftover from the apartment days. Those 2x12's have a hole spacing that matches some holes with T-nuts pounded into the bottom of my bench. When I want to swap, they unbolt and can be stashed elsewhere. With 4-6 big bolts cranked down, they don't move when in use.

My (smaller than your 650) SDB is mounted to a 2x4 which then is then bolted to my bench with carriage bolts. But since the space is only occasionally used for things other than reloading, and since I just have the one press, it pretty much stays there except for the rare occasion when I need the space for some other project.

A bigger press, especially a top heavy set up with a case sorter, needs a bigger footprint like shred's, or something extra strong such as forum member Nolan's aluminum base plates (see the humungus thread at the top of the picture Gallery for lots of ideas).

I have my 1050 and 650 on short lengths of 2x12, leftover from the apartment days. Those 2x12's have a hole spacing that matches some holes with T-nuts pounded into the bottom of my bench. When I want to swap, they unbolt and can be stashed elsewhere. With 4-6 big bolts cranked down, they don't move when in use.

That sounds good... and a lot like what I'm considering.

Thanks!

Tommy

For a number of years I had a 2x6 with the following on it: Dillon 550, RCBS single stage

press, uniflow powder measure, case trimmer, and a Lee shotshell loader. Had an old

picnic table in the utility room, and the board clamped to the top when I was reloading.

It sat out of the way on top of some cabinets when not in use. Worked OK. Picnic table

wasn't the best choice, a little flexible, but it beat nothing.

For a number of years I had a 2x6 with the following on it: Dillon 550, RCBS single stage

press, uniflow powder measure, case trimmer, and a Lee shotshell loader. ........

That sounds similar to my equip. Thanks for the reply.

Tommy