Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Spcl Brass

10mmdave

Starline 38 Long Colt with Dave's moon clips - the only way to go. Nickle dosen't last as long, but sure is pretty!

Is that nickel Starline or some other brand ?? Always wanted to try the Nickel Starline

I think Starline is the only place you can get 38 long colt and you can only get it in nickle from Midway.

Guys - All the .38 Special brass I've found fits fine in my speedloaders. What are y'all doing wrong? :D

As moonclips are used, they get more forgiving. The narrower the moonclip (.022 ?) the more forgiving. I have yet to see the moonclip that accepts Winchester with alacrity. What moonclip are you using?? ooops, I have to read much more carefully.

I only use Winchester brass and always have. The moon clips came from Bob Miles and were bought somewhere around the late 90's. He had some that Winchester would not go in and I use to go through what he had for sale and pick out the ones that work for Winchester brass. At the time I was getting a heck of a deal on once fired Winchester from Sarch's out of Colorado. Lost count of how many times they have been reloaded.

I'm shooting 38 Spls in a moonclip in my Mod 686. Only Fed and RP brass, of what's readily available, goes in the clips reliably. Winchester is way to tight, and sometimes I'll see a Fed or RP that binds. Off brand brass might or might not work with the moonclips. I don't have the time or patience to bother keeping these other brands around, so they go in the tub with the Winchesters, for recycling. For club matches, I'll load nearly 30 moonclips, and that's usually enough for the match without reloading any clips at the range. [started with 30 clips, and now down to 27].

Tried loading my 38s to major with 130 FMJ round nose bullets, and managed to start losing cases by blowing then apart about half way up the casing. The ring of metal stuck in the cylinder didn't come out, and caused the end of those stages. Since then, I'm back to shooting 38s loaded to minor, and only have a couple of cracked tips each match. I'm tossing any that are cracked, even if "they still hold powder". I found that the cracked tips that snuck through to get reloaded would sometimes allow the bullet to get pushed into the shell. Sorry, but the chance of a much smaller volume in the shell could produce an unacceptably high pressure when the bullet is fired.

I've been asked an off the wall question and it fits this thread nicely. A new shooter has a 627 .357 8 shot and doesn't want to buy another conversion to reload 38 Special. How well do CCI Blazer (alum) cases work with moonclips or will they? :blink: