Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Acp Bullet/powder Selection

epj

I have started reloading again after a 15-20 year break from it. I am loading rounds for informal target shooting, though I will likely try some of the competitive events at the local range in the near future. These events don't seem to require any certain power factor. Right now, I am soley concerned with the .45 ACP. As a default, I have been largely reloading 230 gr FMJ's, though I have also obtained some 185 gr JHP's and some 230 gr copper plated slugs. Given that the bullets I have found available are all in the same price range, (around .08), is there a particular advantage to the FMJ or the JHP over the copper plated? Since I can get the jacketed bullets for the same price, (actually a tad cheaper) than the plated, i would think the jacketed might be the way to go? On the other hand, can the lighter loads with the plated bullets produce less recoil and better accuracy? I'm not that recoil sensitive, but my wife will be shooting the same loads and it might be easier for her. I really don't want to fool with cast bullets unless I can find some that are fairly clean shooting and don't gum up the dies on my Dillon press.

Starting out, I bought a pound of Unique, as I had used it extensively in the past for medium power .327/.41/.44 mags., as well as .45's and a few others. It is an old friend, and very versatile, but may not be the best for my purposes. Obviously, whatever I use has to meter through a powder measure accurately.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

I also used Unique in the past because it is so versatile.

However, some action pistol shooters don't like it because it has a reputation for being "dirty".

Not an issue for the casual shooter but best avoided if you're running thousands of rounds through your blaster.

Many reloaders prefer faster powders such as Titegroup or Vihtavuori N320.

Neither is a bad choice.

With the 230 gr. bullet, these powders produce relatively soft recoil at just above IPSC major power factor (around 730 - 740 fps).

I also like AA No5 in the 45 ACP.

It meters well, is accurate, relatively clean, and works well with all bullet weights.

This powder behind Nosler 185 Hollow points is one of the most accurate loads I have found for my Springfield 1911.

Tls

You might want to give Hodgdons Clays a try.

Very soft shooting, Clean and accurate.

Hodgdon lists;

3.6 to 4.3 grs with a 200gr L SWC

3.5 to 4.0 grs with a 230gr L RN

Welcome back to reloading.

Looks like Clays might be pretty similar in characteristics to Bullseye?

epj,

As you can see Clays is also popular among action pistol shooters.

Everybody has their pet loads and Clays has many advocates.

A word of caution when loading relatively fast powders and heavy bullets.

The charges are small and don't take much space in the case.

Take care to avoid a double charge.

Good shooting and welcome back.

Tls

epj,

As you can see Clays is also popular among action pistol shooters.

Everybody has their pet loads and Clays has many advocates.

A word of caution when loading relatively fast powders and heavy bullets.

The charges are small and don't take much space in the case.

Take care to avoid a double charge.

Good shooting and welcome back.

Tls

Years back, I had loaded quite a few .45's with Bullseye. Having just bought a progressive press, (Dillon) I have been pretty cautious about the prospect of a double charge and that was one of the considerations that led me to Unique, vs Bullseye or Clays. I am less concerned about that now, but am still a bit concerned about a low volume load that might encounter erratic ignition. It has been obvious to me that Clays has a large following and will likely be the next thing I try. Will it work for most .45 loads?

Starting out, I bought a pound of Unique, as I had used it extensively in the past for medium power .327/.41/.44 mags., as well as .45's and a few others. It is an old friend, and very versatile, but may not be the best for my purposes. Obviously, whatever I use has to meter through a powder measure accurately.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

I was a longtime Bullseye user for my 45 and 38 loads. After listening to others I tried some WST for my 45. I just can't seem to find a very accurate load with it. Bullseye was a bit dirty, but I could shoot one hole groups from a rest at 50 feet. With WST the best I can do is 2 inches. I just wish I hadn't bought 4 lbs of it. I think I'll either go back to bullseye or try Clays next.

-Cuz.

epj - I'm happy with new Unique in my .45 ACP loads. 6 grains should give you about 800 fps from a 5" barrel, and it's much cleaner than it used to be.

Chuck; I'm not unhappy with the Unique. I have loaded a few hunderd rounds with 6.0 and a 230 FMJ. I have also done some 185's over 7.5 gr, and some 230 copper plated over 5.7 gr, but I have yet to try out either load. I shot some of the 230/6.0 at the range a few days ago and they seemed to perform well. I was using a 4" Kimber. I haven't tried them in either of my 5" guns, but I'm sure they will do well also. I didn't notice any real problems with cleanliness. I do recall seeing a lot of unburned powder years back using Unique in revolvers. I used to have to keep the area under the ejector cleaned out

to prevent it from sticking too far back and preventing shells from chambering. Apparently the "new" Unique is much cleaner.

Just looking around to see if there is something better. I'll probably try some of the Clays, since so many seem to swear by it.

Regards, Ed

Hi Ed.

Welcome to the forum.

First you really need to get a reloading manual. You can pick up the small "free" load books from several different powder companies at your local gun shop. If they sell powder they usually have the "free" books.

I think you are loading the 230's a little "hot" with Unique. IIRC We used to load 200gr LSWC's with 5.7-6.0 grs. You may want to back that load down a bit. Unless you just find you like it.

You will find many other powders to use that require much less powder and will burn much cleaner. And since you are looking to use it as plinking ammo you don't need to load any hotter than will function the gun.

Clays, Bullseye, WW231, WST, HP-38, Titegroup, VV N320, and several others are all good choices.

Clays is what I use in .45 ACP.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Caspian_45

Hi Ed.

Welcome to the forum.

First you really need to get a reloading manual. You can pick up the small "free" load books from several different powder companies at your local gun shop. If they sell powder they usually have the "free" books.

I think you are loading the 230's a little "hot" with Unique. IIRC We used to load 200gr LSWC's with 5.7-6.0 grs. You may want to back that load down a bit. Unless you just find you like it.

You will find many other powders to use that require much less powder and will burn much cleaner. And since you are looking to use it as plinking ammo you don't need to load any hotter than will function the gun.

Clays, Bullseye, WW231, WST, HP-38, Titegroup, VV N320, and several others are all good choices.

Clays is what I use in .45 ACP.

Hope this helps.

I have a Lyman manual somewhere in the mail. Hopefully, I'll get it in the next couple of days. :)