Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230 Gr Copper Plated Load.

epj

That will probably work just fine. FYI, if you feel like experimenting some, the load I used to shoot with 230gr. Rainier plated bullets was 4.0 of regular Clays. It's doesn't get much cleaner or softer in .45. ;)

My own load with 230 Rainer in 45 ACP is 4.6 of Titegroup. Very clean, quite accurate, and soft recoil for a medium velocity load.

• 2 weeks later...
That will probably work just fine. FYI, if you feel like experimenting some, the load I used to shoot with 230gr. Rainier plated bullets was 4.0 of regular Clays. It's doesn't get much cleaner or softer in .45. ;)

I just tried this with an OAL of 1.274 and Crimp of about .459 today. I made an IPSC pf of 161 (too low). ANd I am afraid of going above 4.0. I test with two Kimber Classics. 1 has less than 5K rnds through it the other has about 10K rnds through it.

I just tried this with an OAL of 1.274 and Crimp of about .459 today. I made an IPSC pf of 161 (too low). ANd I am afraid of going above 4.0.

A couple of things.

First, keep in mind that the loads Hodgdon lists are with an OAL of 1.200". Seating deeper may bump the PF a little. I used 1.260" with the Rainiers, if I remember, and I've been using 1.250" lately with Zero FMJ's and 4.1gr. of Clays to get about 165PF.

Second, bear in mind that many of the major PF loads that we use in competition are above the powder manufacturers' recommended maximums. Just use caution and bump up slowly, looking for any pressure signs.

hodgdon loads the hornady fmj flat point at a shorter OAL

with the increased OAL you should be able to increase the powder charge without a problem.

titegroup should work great too,, just a little dirtier than clays.

It just so happens I chronoed some .45 loads today loaded with plain old Clays and the Rainier 230 plated RN. Full size Kimber.

Winchester primers, 1.263 OAL (matches the oal of my own ultra-reliable cast bullet loads)

3.6 grains = 154 PF

3.7 grains = 162 PF

3.8 grains = 164 PF

3.9 grains = 167 PF

I can easily believe 4.0 is the load I need, maybe 170 - 171 PF.