Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Average/max Distance On Slug Targets For 3gun

jbullgpd

Read the slugs FAQ and couldnt find info on this. What is usually the average engagement distances on slug targets and what is the the max you have seen?

Also is their particular restrictions to what constitutes a slug and what kind you have to shoot? Just wondering what is in writing on this, I know there are different rules per event but lets just say for arguements sake we are talking USPSA rules.

Edited by jbullgpd

Average would be 20-25 yds. I have seen shots out to 80 yds, and once we pushed that to 110 in a local match. I don't quite understand the last part of your post. No one mandates what kind of slugs must be shot and I do believe USPSA and IPSC have both accepted 480 as a power factor for shotgun ammunition of any kind

if you are referring sabots, I dont think there is anything in the rules that do not allow them.

For IPSC so long as its not metal piercing, incendiary or tracer its OK.

Its more a regional law issue which you need to be aware of If you travel to foreign matches, eg: Sabot slug are illegal in UK & so cannot be transported or used there.

Neil

Longest slug shot I've seen thus far was about 40yds. Matches do vary and I've heard of some reaching the 100yd mark. Most of what I encounter locally is usually under 30yds and the targets are made more challenging by use of hard cover or no shoots.

As for the slugs themselves, all I've ever done is get normal hunting slugs like Brenke or Winchester and just go shoot. I haven't heard of any restrictions other than non metal piercing or incindiary.

The IPSC 2006 Shotgun Rules that came into effect 1 January now establish the minimum PF of 480. This PF caters for just about any of the popular ammunition types being used by the vast majority of competitors. It also offers better opportunities to conform for anyone using a 20 gauge instead of a 12 gauge.

On the 30 September 2005 the USPSA Board changed the USPSA Multi Gun Rules to declare that for SG anything over 20 gauge should be declared as Major. They did not change the USPSA version of the IPSC shotgun rules.

The USPSA has not yet adopted or implemented the revised (2006) IPSC rules and has stated that the 2004 rules will continue in force for the time being. So:

At an IPSC Shotgun match the PF is 480

At a USPSA Multi Gun match you only need to shoot 20 gauge and all is OK

At a USPSA Shotgun match the PF is 520

And please don't shoot the messenger.

Thanks Neil!! I don't know how you keep it all straight!! IPSC/USPSA...etc. You truely are the god of rules!! Hope to see you ijn Greece or maybe even the Borris?? I know you are busy, but one can hope!! KURT

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, The reason I asked was I like to shoot with what I carry everyday as an LE and we carry the new Polyshok slug. I'm not sure on PF, I will have to check that but it is a new slug for LE and military and it is hella accurate out to 50-60 yards, I'm gettin 3 inch groups out at 50 and it is low recoil. I will have to check on accuracy past 50 though. Check it out if ya haven't heard of it........

http://www.polyshok.com/