Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A shooter was given the "Make Ready" command. He loaded, did this & that, and holstered the gun. He did NOT recieve the "Are you Ready" command but he proceded to remove the gun from the holster to check the front sight.  he got DQ'd.   is it a DQ, since he was still under the "Make Ready" command.  if it is a DQ what rule #.  RO stated since it was holstered, it can not be removed from holster.

thats why it pays to know the rule book, I carry one in my bag...  The last step of make ready is assume the start position.. If he hasnt done that yet, He's still making ready.. He can put his left foot in put his left foot out do the hokey pokey and shake it all about if he wants.
A ask if the RO is certified,,, then challenge ruling  again,, know the rule book. Protest procedure is in there.
I wouldnt expect anyone vested enough in the sport to be a match director would be that misinformed of the rules and would have quickly over ruled that.

Edited by Joe4d

Actually made me go find ICORE rules. It’s only like 20 pages so there is no excuse for not knowing the rules. Make ready is literally for making ready just like USPSA.

22 hours ago, PK1911 said:

A shooter was given the "Make Ready" command. He loaded, did this & that, and holstered the gun. He did NOT recieve the "Are you Ready" command but he proceded to remove the gun from the holster to check the front sight.  he got DQ'd.   is it a DQ, since he was still under the "Make Ready" command.  if it is a DQ what rule #.  RO stated since it was holstered, it can not be removed from holster.

well pretty much the only rule is 12.3 unsafe gun handling..  I mean in hindsight of my previous comment I wasnt there, and the RO and presumably the MD that upheld it was... Still pays to know the rules.. If the RO said because he drew during make ready, I dont get it.. I mean you could draw at anytime prior to beep and It would be a 5 second penalty, RO coulda also said STOP,, got head back on,, and restarted from make ready...  I mean I have done that..
Guy comes to the line with a holstered gun,, at make ready he drew then bent over and started putting gun in bag.. I had no idea what was going on... STOP,,, oh ok he was a 2 gun entry and was switching guns,.. OK Sir gonna restart you at make ready.. No harm no foul. "Make Ready"

If guy was checking sight did he sweep himself ? Break 180 ? Musta been something else going on.

Unless they were sweeping, breaking the 180, negligent discharge, etc. There is no reason drawing a loaded gun would immediately equal a DQ.

I have seen a shooter touch one off in the exact same situation because they forgot the gun was loaded and took a sight picture, then dropped the hammer.  But if nothing of that sort occurred...not a DQ.