Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 getting a bit of light strikes

MattyG47

I have 2x Shadow 2's. One is close to stock, just a reduced recoil spring was added. Other I got second hand and I know where was some work done but dont know what exactly. I got some primers from Norma on sale and they work flawlessly with the non-modified but many light strikes with other pistol. Prior to this, only 2-3 ever LS. I need to get back to range to test different ammo to rule out its a new problem with it for all ammo.

any thoughts?

@MattyG47

It likely has a lighter hammer spring (which is a common thing to do) in order to lighten the double action pull.

You can test it yourself with a trigger pull gauge or just comparing how heavy the stock one is on your original gun compared to this one.

With harder primers you'll likely need to increase the weight of the hammer spring to 13 or 15 pounds.

Check your primer seating depth as well. My shadows with lighter hammer springs can be pretty sensitive to it.  Do they pop on the second strike?  Is your issue happening in DA vs SA?  DA tends to be a little bit weaker than SA due to how far the hammer cocks to the rear.

Swapping the hammer spring is about the second-easiest spring anywhere in a CZ to replace, so expect somebody did.  You can swap the one from the other gun as a test too.

10 hours ago, MattyG47 said:

I have one on order. But you say it’s easy?

CZ FanGrrl has an good video on changing the hammer spring.  Super easy to do. First 11 minutes of the video.

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2024 at 6:35 PM, MattyG47 said:

I am getting them in Sa too but more often in SA. 95-% fired on second pull of trigger. 

The ones that can be fired on second trigger pull is usually caused by high primers. I haven't shot any Norma primers, but have shot 20k+ Ginex primers. A lot of reloading presses allow adjusting primer seating depth. For Ginex primers, I use 0.010" seating depth on my RL1100. They go bang 100% in my S2 with 10lbs hammer spring. I know the common knowledge for primer seating depth is 0.004" - 0.009", but I found that is just not enough for some hard primers like Ginex. When I use federal primers for match ammo, seating depth is adjusted to 0.006".