Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding issue with the CANIK Rival

Robsondmachado

On 6/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, Thomas918 said:

If you aren’t using mag extensions they aren’t needed I think. I watched your videos and I saw your slide was getting caught when charging a round. I’ve never seen that. It seems like a round is rubbing on the slide as it travels rearward. It’s probably pushing the round’s nose downward and then it’s getting caught on the feed ramp on return to battery. Keep us updated on any fixes you are working through

This is exactly what is happening. Still looking for solutions.

On 6/30/2024 at 12:51 PM, HesedTech said:

The bullet should not point at the bottom edge of the feed ramp.

When the ammunition is in the magazine, it points towards the center of the ramp. The problem is always the next round after firing, which causes the nose of the next round to drop down and catch on the edge of the ramp, causing the bolt return to fail.

This problem with the ammunition is random!

I've already watched the first video and it relates to a problem with the RIVAL-S. The magazine doesn't allow the bolt to slide all the way down and causes the bolt to lock.

In this specific case, the shooter is still able to remove the magazine or maneuver the bolt, but in my case, this is impossible.

Anyway, it's a video worth watching!

I've already watched the first video and it relates to a problem with the RIVAL-S. The magazine doesn't allow the bolt to slide all the way down and causes it to lock.

In this specific case, the shooter is still able to remove the magazine or maneuver the bolt, but in my case, this is impossible.

Anyway, it's a video worth watching!

The second video follows the same principle.

Searching youtube, I saw that a CANIK user had a problem like mine. However, he used a larger magazine with a capacity of 32 rounds.

CANIK Vídeo

I’m almost positive this a magazine issue. The magazine seems to be sitting way too high in the gun. The way it hangs up when charging the weapon and the fact the slide is getting caught on the magazine in one of your videos. My steel frame rival that had mag issues from overinsertion mimicked that problem in your video where the slide wouldn’t return forward until you removed that magazine. Does all the mags have that same problem? Is the magazine catch/release button seem to be engaging correctly? 

On 7/1/2024 at 8:32 PM, Robsondmachado said:

The problem is always the next round after firing, which causes the nose of the next round to drop down and catch on the edge of the ramp, causing the bolt return to fail.

This problem with the ammunition is random!

While I don't have your particular gun I can assure you some things are common amongst self-feeding guns and mag fit and alignment is one of them. I replaced mag catches, base pad fit, bolt face mods, extractors, smoothed and polished mag wells, and even sold guns that failed to run reliably.

We think these are "precision" made little machines, but they really aren't because they would be too expensive for the average person to own. 

At some point the best thing is to sell the gun and get another one. Something to consider. 

On 7/1/2024 at 11:38 PM, BritinUSA said:

What is the crimp measurement at the top of the case ?

It should be (2 x case thickness) + bullet diameter.

Hello!

I couldn't understand the question, could you rephrase it again please?

On 7/2/2024 at 1:25 AM, Thomas918 said:

I’m almost positive this a magazine issue. The magazine seems to be sitting way too high in the gun. The way it hangs up when charging the weapon and the fact the slide is getting caught on the magazine in one of your videos. My steel frame rival that had mag issues from overinsertion mimicked that problem in your video where the slide wouldn’t return forward until you removed that magazine. Does all the mags have that same problem? Is the magazine catch/release button seem to be engaging correctly? 

These are different problems!

The RIVAL-S has a problem with the charger that won't let the bolt close.

The RIVAL, in my case, causes the nose of the ammunition tip to collide with the edge of the ramp, causing a crash.

However, I don't rule out the possibility that the style of magazine causes this type of problem to occur.

If the front lips of the magazine were a little higher, the tips of the ammunition wouldn't be thrown against the edge of the ramp.

This problem is so clear to me that every time I finish a course and unload the CANIK with the ammunition that was in the chamber, I can see that the tip of the ammunition has been notched when it was fed into the gun, reinforcing the idea that there has been a collision with the ramp.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

23 hours ago, HesedTech said:

While I don't have your particular gun I can assure you some things are common amongst self-feeding guns and mag fit and alignment is one of them. I replaced mag catches, base pad fit, bolt face mods, extractors, smoothed and polished mag wells, and even sold guns that failed to run reliably.

We think these are "precision" made little machines, but they really aren't because they would be too expensive for the average person to own. 

At some point the best thing is to sell the gun and get another one. Something to consider. 

Some possibilities to be analyzed.

Posted (edited)

The only issues I've ever had with my Rival-S pistols were traced to:

• Fiocchi 115gr FMJ ammo
  • Trying to load 22 Fiocchi rounds in the new TTI Combat magazines
  • Trying to load 21 Fiocchi rounds in the Canik 20 round magazines with Canik +3 Extension
  • These combinations resulted in not even being able to seat the magazine because the base of the mag was swelled.

While I could load 22 rounds and 21 rounds respectively of other types of ammo, I decided it was not worth the risk of a malfunction due to overloading the mag.  99% of our USPSA/HF matches are more than 24 rounds so I'm going to have to reload anyway, just load 20.  😀

Haven't had any issues since.

Edited by extremist

My Rival-S had a feeding issue where the bullet would impact the feed ramp too low on the barrel and every so often "only during a stage" I would get a failure to go into battery. After installation MBX springs and followers to go along with my Henning base pads it has been 100% for me. I was using the Rune tactical springs but feel like they wear out a bit quicker. This has been the only issue with my Rival-S. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going back through all of these issues as it's been a while since I've read them all.  Luckily, I have my chrome Rival-S running great.  I will be breaking in my black Rival-S soon and I hope to not have too many issues, or have a solution to all of the issue(s).

On 7/10/2024 at 4:23 AM, works for ammo said:

My Rival-S had a feeding issue where the bullet would impact the feed ramp too low on the barrel and every so often "only during a stage" I would get a failure to go into battery. 

A local GM posted the same thing on IG awhile back but I can't find the post so not sure what his fix was

Edited by truespode