Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whatever Happened To The B.o.s.s.?

Chills1994

This was a threaded, graduated, and numbered muzzle brake system available on Browning and Winchester rifles...oh... about 10 years back.

This gizmo was threaded on to the end of the barrel and helped curb barrel "whipping" or harmonics problems.

Given a certain bullet weight you could dial in a sweet spot and record the numbers off it.

That setting would give you the tightest groups for that bullet weight.

Anyhoooo....... I just haven't seen it advertised in a really long time.

I remember seeing a televised contest featuring shooters with B.O.S.S. equipped guns.

Thanks,

Chills

They still have it optionally available and tell you all about it at

www.Browning.com

including the new Boss CR which is the same without the muzzle brake which gives up the recoil reduction benefit.

I have 3 A-Bolt rifles and all do not have the Boss on any cause I don't like lugging the extra baggage around.

They all shoot better than I do without it. :P

The Boss option is still available on most of the BAR and A Bolt's from Browning. In general, I've sold about 20 non Boss guns to one Boss equipped gun of the same model for the past 5 years. BAR's tend to sell more often with a Boss than A Bolt's do.

If you want to take a Boss rifle to the range to sight in be sure to take your ear plugs and muffs like you were running an open gun and be nice to your neighbors on the line and go off to one end by yourself.

It is more of marketing gimmic that a real accuracy aid on a hunting rifle. Kinda like 50mm objective scopes...

It is more of marketing gimmic that a real accuracy aid on a hunting rifle. Kinda like 50mm objective scopes...

My experience with the B.O.S.S. is different. I bought an A-Bolt Varmint Model in .308, B.O.S.S. equipped. I took it to the range without messing with the B.O.S.S. and shot a 2 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. I was so mad I was thinking about returning the gun. Then I read the instructions and adjusted the B.O.S.S. for the load I was shooting, and shot a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards with the same ammo. Factory ammo. Anecdotal evidence, but I am sold on the B.O.S.S. system.

"Then I read the instructions and adjusted the B.O.S.S. for the load I was shooting"

-well there is your problem, right there! Its asking a bit much, don't you think? :P

Seriously, it sounds as if it may have had promise but failed to take into account the LIKELY behavior of the typical buyer (throw out the instructions with the box since I KNOW HOW TO SHOOT & DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' MANUAL). Regards,

C.

A couple of friends bought them originally and they did improve accuracy, but not as drastically as mentioned above. Maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch at 100 yards. The drastic noise increase more than cancelled the small accuracy improvement for them. They are utterly miserable to shoot next to. Maybe if you were a long range dog town visitor and did not shoot with friends they might be worth it to you. Instead of tuning the barrel to the load, most of us reloaders tune the load to the barrel the old fashioned way. It's an individual choice, but you won't be a popular guy on the line at the range.

Rick

I know I'm off topic a little bit, but have you guys ever noticed that in most hunting/non competitive circles there is a certain sense of manliness associated with taking as much recoil as possible from a large caliber rifle fitted with a recoil pad made of thumbtacks. Yet any complaint of excess noise associated with muzzle brakes is welcomed with open arms.......hmmm

Take care Craig :)

Yeah, there seems to be that manliness in "taking" recoil abuse. The "why" I've yet to fully understand. My thoughts are it is an individual accomplishment to shoulder the recoil abuse. Yet, excessive muzzle blast is frowned on because it is a group experience that is often forced on unwitting, unknowing, or unwilling participants.

The same kind of manliness mindset was pointed out in Carlos' post..."manual, I don't need no stinking manual".

We have all, at one time or another, uttered that same line...to the sheer amusment/frustration of our wives, et al.

This thread got me thinking simply because last weekend I was showing my 3 gun rifle to a new shooter (kind of Joe Tuff guy attitude) and his question was

"Why do you need that compensator for .223 is a mouse caliber, all it does it make more noise?"

So since I was doing new shooter orientation I politely answered the qeuestion with all the reasonable answers. In my mind however I was thinking "How can someone who obviously more than mouse caliber recoil detest mouse caliber noise?"

Anyway just a little grin moment.

Maybe you should have borrowed the BASF marketing line "We don't make the products you buy, we make the products you buy better..."

and answered "while a .223 shoots with little recoil, this compensater makes it shoot with no recoil"

My Brother has an A-bolt in 300 winmag with the boss system, it still recoils more than I like. You can tell the guns that are not abusive to shoot by which ones your friends want to hunt with. My 45-70 collects a lot more dust than the rifles based off the 308. Also, I still haven’t had any takers on shooting my 50 BMG with out its muzzle break.

Edited by jmorris