Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Loads For Uspsa Revolver Using A 6" S&w 686?

jkrispies

My IDPA load is 6.8 grains of Unique in .357 brass under a 158 grain RNL. This is an 1100+ fps load from a four inch gun, so you could back off somewhat and still make the PF. 8.4 grains of Longshot under a 158 grain JHP gives about the same velocity.

If I were going to dedicate that revolver specifically to USPSA shooting, I'd consider a 200 grain RNL. You'd only need 850 fps for a 170 PF, and I bet it would work well on steel. :) Do a search on this in the Revolver forum - we discussed it recently.

Edited by revchuck

Do a search on this in the Revolver forum - we discussed it recently.

I'd like to, but the search function doesn't work for me. :( I'll try to scroll through it, though. Off hand, does anyone have a recommendation for a 200gr bullet? I'd planned to go for a 158gr Zero, but they don't offer a 200gr option. Thanks!

Edited by jkrispies

Thanks, Chuck! You da man, as they say. B)

I'm wondering, how clean are these Magnus bullets in your experience? As much as I hate paying for it, I was planning on simply biting the bullet (ouch!) and going for jacketed rounds because my experience with lead has always been a gunked up disaster. As a matter of fact, the last batch of lead bullets I used were so soft, their leading ended up impeding the loading of rounds into the cylinder after a about 50 rounds. A couple of the old guys at the range who have more experience than lead with me thought it might have been a bad batch that I was sold, but still... that's the extent of my experience so far.

So, yeah... I'm now leary when I see lead. Care to assuage my concerns?

I went through 500 of their 158 grain lead truncated cone bullets over 7 grains of Unique, which ran over 1100 fps from my 4" guns. No leading, good accuracy. They don't smoke any more than any other lead bullets.

I use LRNs due to the reloading speed, and since I shoot both fixed and adjustable sight guns in IDPA, want to stick with 158s. I'm seriously considering using my M14 for USPSA revolver shooting Minor level loads with the 200 grain LRN. (Can't use a 6" barrel in IDPA.)