Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New owner problems

New to the platform, impossible to find ANY Tanfoglios in California.i started reading through here but there is so much info. So I ordered CGW only to find out very few are compatible. I have the trs, light safety plunger spring, hammer spring and awaiting reduce power firing pin spring. Is it necessary to replace the actual spring? I see patriot defense has an extended one, but is it necessary for factory ammo? Once i have everything I’m going to polish the trigger action too to have a fine trigger pull.

I guess now i need to get an actual CZ since I have spare parts lol

There are Tanfoglios in CA they just don't come up that often and if their near me and a good deal I try to snap them up. Right now I have seven and enjoy each one. As for the FP spring I haven't changed any of mine even with a lighter hammer spring and all I shoot is factory ammo and have had no problems. Best thing to do is while you're waiting for the spring go out and test it as is and see if it works. As for polishing there's really not much to do that shooting it wouldn't take care of. What Tanfogilo do you have? Here's a couple of my builds.

Tanfo II.jpg

elite longslide1.jpeg

An old steel small frame 9mm with import date of 1993. The trigger pull is not bad but a bit gritty. It’s an old gun but not many rounds through it. It was my uncle’s piece but he’s in his 80s with dementia so I took over. 

just want a smooth straight shooter, no competition in mind.

12 hours ago, GeeQ87 said:

An old steel small frame 9mm with import date of 1993. The trigger pull is not bad but a bit gritty. It’s an old gun but not many rounds through it. It was my uncle’s piece but he’s in his 80s with dementia so I took over. 

just want a smooth straight shooter, no competition in mind.

Does that have the short hammer spring ? If so, it has the trigger bar lifter at the front of the trigger bar. Pull that lifter out, take it all apart and polish it. EVERYWHERE.   especially inside the hole and the strut rod. Chuck it in a drill and 320grit paper as it spins,then polish. Get all the machining ridges off. polish the spring too.  (I cut a single coil out of the spring too, but not necessary). Polish the hole in the frame too. "Blue magic" is my polish preference.

I also polish the hammer spring, strut and the hole in the frame.

Polish the trigger bar outside edges where it contacts the frame and the slot where the lifter contacts.

Just those things will make it MUCH smother.

Pro tip, after polishing it  fire several hundred rounds. Disassemble, inspect and polish areas that show signs of rubbing wear.  This way you can take your time and focus on the places that need it.

The patriot defense firing pin return spring should be used.  It "steals" less of the impact force from the hammer and can't let the firing pin over travel.  Aside from the couple $ to buy,there is zero negatives to using it.  In fact,  it increases primer strike force making it more reliable.

Edited by johnbu

This gun was disgusting! It was covered in gunk but cleaned every pin and part. All springs will be replaced and polishing has begun. Not done but already looking and feeling better, still need to hit it with dremel and polishing compound.

IMG_1493.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

9 hours ago, GeeQ87 said:

IMG_1486.jpeg.fee5b8559f32e0dd72c259060794a897.jpegIMG_1487.jpeg.e50f840215a33b252863df0e4a795525.jpegIMG_1485.jpeg.fbf8730103f0448090da17a56a7c1b94.jpeg

Wow with all that in there I'm surprised it worked at all. Looking at your pics a good clean would have made it function and feel better. Go easy with that Dremel it's easy to get carried away then it could be new part time. Have fun working on it and enjoy your results. Let us know how it feels shooting it after all the work you've done.