Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meniscus

Anybody still shooting USPSA after meniscus surgery? Not sure exactly what surgery I'll get (the big one or the smaller one) but am concerned about coming back to the sport. 

Sure, don't worry about it.  It's really a minor surgery.  I ran races for over 30 years after the 1st surgery. 

I have a fake knee now and still compete at a decent level in USPSA. Do your physical therapy as prescribed and it'll be fine. 

I sometimes wear a slip on neoprene knee sleeve when shooting but it's not for structural support or anything like that. It simply helps keep my knee warm when it's cool weather.  

If all you're having done is some meniscus work then you have nothing to worry about.  They'll scope you and you'll be back on your knee that very day.

@togmaster that  day will come............... but hopefully not soon. 

@bjb it's sounding like mensiscus lite surgery is what's on the table. Will find out more on Tuesday from the doc. 

Yup, I had both inner and outer meniscus torn on my right knee and had surgery to clean them up about a year and a half ago. Dr. said I was already bone on bone in a couple of places but he wanted to hold off as long as possible before doing a joint replacement. I'm moving slower, but I am still out at the range shooting matches and getting it done. I'm not shooting to the level that I'm classified at and probably never will again but I'm just doing it for the fun now, not worried about trying to compete at the level I used to. I get a little sore while shooting but it's not bad and the soreness usually lessens or goes away after I sit down a while.