Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver? Die on the vine?

-JCN-

So the Alien mags are really square in the front / nose. 

Those corners hang up in the grip on reloads. Like the Czechmate / TSO mags. 

I like the rounded CZ75 mags better for reloading. 

I knocked down some of the corners of Alien mags. 

IMG_1233.thumb.jpeg.dc9b057d8dbad893edccad3d24d3f94f.jpeg

Also looked inside the 22 round long tube. Looks like more coils. 

The follower is kind of like CZ like. 

IMG_1236.thumb.jpeg.c9980ed044ac3da188d6c7e00ac8be51.jpeg

I’ve cut CZ followers to add more capacity. 

I might start with the 17 rounders and see if I can cut down to fit 18-19. 

Then if it works I’ll start massaging the stock followers. 

Or I’ll use some CZC flat followers and see if I can get them to run properly. 

Also there’s an inner ridge / lip in the grip body that hangs up the square nose. 

So I hogged out the inside. 

IMG_1234.thumb.jpeg.fd369392c3e9ffca271b2582e34c0660.jpeg

Reloads smoother now. 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most excited I’ve been about USPSA in years. Having V there definitely helps with motivation. She has made a lot of progress in the 5 months we’ve been working and it’s been very rewarding to see. 

It also means that I can’t wuss out and it keeps the pressure on me (in a good way). 

It’s been a good partnership. 

For my own performance, I’m still working on planning and execution. Still a work in progress. Today was a good start of season baseline. 

So motivated! I didn’t suck ass at the match, but need to get some time on the new platform. A couple of bobbles and equipment tuning issues. 

I could go back to CZs and perform better now. But I guess part of the fun for me is figuring out new platforms as stupid as that sounds. 

So the LO goals are motivating, might as well run with it. 

I’m all in for USPSA and the Alien platform (unless it’s unreliable despite tuning). 

IMG_1239.thumb.jpeg.cef640635e58db158bddf410200f0be9.jpeg

The factory extended 140mm Alien mag barely crams 22 into it. It’s like most factory mags… they use a full size follower in order to get lock back. 

The geometry of the mags is very similar to CZ except for the square nose. 

Will try the MBX Shadow 2 spring and follower. I’ve got a pile lying around. 

IMG_1241.thumb.jpeg.5e190547e20d935e9527b4c59e976a8b.jpeg

With stock follower and springs. 

IMG_1240.thumb.jpeg.c03665991872558f09868a49d07e51ff.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg.461b458eeb3fce6ba2030da5cf6b6d7d.jpeg

Now need to run them to see if they work reliably. 

For distribution of time, I’m still doing a little revolver reloading to consolidate it. 

Some revolver draws and transitions in a steel challenge context. 

Then working some basic LO ergos and trying to spend more time with movement and field course. 

Prime goal is to find out failure mechanisms for the platform. I’m not cleaning the gun until it malfunctions or starts to have issues. 

I have some thoughts about what to do with the gas system, but will have to wait to see until it fails. 

Posted (edited)

That was a very short experiment. 

IMG_1248.thumb.jpeg.a7418479176f86ddc0a522c43fcb1c49.jpeg

Nose dive because not enough upward nose support. Might work with round nose and feed ramp grinding. Clarification: this is with the MBX follower and spring. 

But for the one extra round, it’s not worth it so I’ll just run 22. 

I’m not competitive enough for the odd stage that it matters. 

Performance goal for LO is on demand M. 

Grooving some 10 yard doubles to get grip pressure and trigger reset dialed in. 

IMG_1251.thumb.jpeg.0dbdcb2f6986846c3416b03e666d6dbe.jpegIMG_1250.thumb.jpeg.4324374c0cc8e60a42426dac42dbaad5.jpeg

Edited by -JCN-

DEAD ON THE VINE

Was talking with V today and we decided on some things.

Abnormally short Winter means the shooting season is here already. 

Scrap the Revo classifier goals and just focus on LO for both of us.

Instead of aiming for B class for her, shoot through it and train past it. So that the initial classification is no doubt B.

For me, I'm going to aim for GM standards knowing that the consistency won't be there.

We are going for accountability / reproducibility standards. Not "hero or zero" standards.

So by the end of the season, my goal is to be M class reproducibly and her to be B class reproducibly. 

By aiming for GM and A class training goals.

Adjusted our targets.

ScreenShot2024-03-03at7_54_29PM.png.da5c6cba1addbffbf6a05ebb1f5b615a.png

I really like the Ghost mag pouches. I've heard from multiple people that ball joint ones don't tend to hold up to repeated abuse and for my primary pouch (front of belt, bullets out and canted) it needs to be durable to aggressive, high volume reps.

So I keep losing the little white plastic set screws by not being careful where I put them when swapping from small frame CZs to other, larger mags (Glock, CZ large frame, 2011, Alien).

Went to order some replacements... kind of spendy for what they are so....

ScreenShot2024-03-04at6_48_38AM.png.70e2019ca881d20896f47271a62c7ee2.png

I'm pretty sure these are the exact type that Ghost uses.

Ultimately I opted to do this instead because of shipping speed and more options... just in case. I have to cut down the screws anyway so for the multi pack I can use any of the longer ones too. If I was being really thrifty, I could cut each loooong one into three pieces and use each piece after Dremeling a slot into the cut head (I probably won't... but I could!).

ScreenShot2024-03-04at6_51_40AM.png.85af7c2bbfd141ff339fdd4afa641d26.png 

I'm planning on setting up a second Lynx belt. I usually have a dry and live gun and dry and live belts set up to lower barrier and hassle of training. I didn't like the Lynx belt because the links adjacent to the holster can pivot but using the ratchet closure and zip tie restricting the adjacent links has made it viable (I think). I also don't want to cannibalize my current existing CZ Production / CO belts... just in case.

Philosophy

Growing up and when younger, I had an extremely internal locus of control… I believed I could control more than I actually could. 

These days I’m older, “wiser” and just have less energy and less to prove. 

I have enough experience that I know some things aren’t within my control and more specifically… aren’t worth the time because they’re so low yield, and I’d rather spend time with my daughter, wife and friends. 

This really comes into play when trying to help people or train people. When their own egos (as in self concept and self image) override their ability to listen and process… it’s not worth my time unless they’re paying me a lot. Definitely not as a volunteer project. 

I think this is where the anecdote of “women are easier to teach” comes in. 

A lot of men have a self image built up around sports and performance. Whether it comes down to alpha / beta / territorial pissing, etc… who knows. Probably some component of that. 

It makes them hard to teach sometimes when they need to feel a certain way in order to practice or perform.  

IMO, it leads to a pretty insecure life trying to fight perceived slights that really don’t matter. At the end of the day / year / life… nobody cares what you accomplished. It’s in your head. 

People who have self concept preservation as their primary motivation… I try to avoid them when I can. Because they’ll sell you out in a heartbeat if it means they protect their image or insecurities. 

My friends these days are all people who would push their loved ones out of the way of a bus and get hit themselves without hesitation. That’s maybe hyperbole but they have a very clear obligation and loyalty to others. 

V is a special student in that way. She has no self image wrapped up in the sport. She’s not trying to prove anything to anyone else, just as benchmarks to herself. 

She’s also smart and motivated which makes her a joy to work with. And it adds accountability to my training. The things I recommend as critically useful… well, I kind of have to be able to practice what I preach. 

——————

Also more philosophy:

I have more money than time. But I also like to solve problems and part of my internal locus of control is that I feel like I can make things better… up to a point. 

I think that’s going to come into play in optimizing the Alien platform. I can already get a sense that it’s going to take some work to get a viable routine down. 

I’m NOT the kind of guy to bitch that “the gun is crap” and send it back to the factory at every single hiccup. 

But because I like to learn, I have a lot of experience fokking around with different platforms and inducing and solving failure issues. 

So maybe I’m smoking crack but I’m willing to give it a try for now. 

I watched the Humble Marksman Alien review and chuckled to myself when he talked about the wonky reloading ergos. 

It’s the internal shelf. And I’m not going to change my reload process, I’m going to change the gun. After grinding it, it reloads like a TSO. Still have to watch the square mag noses but don’t need to change my ergos. 

Also, would like to add that I can be wrong. I don’t mind being wrong. It’s part of the scientific process. 

Like the CZ follower attempt that failed spectacularly, it’s okay. Then we move on. 

There will be many points in this journal where I’ll come back later and correct an erroneous hypothesis or an assumption that didn’t hold because I didn’t know what I didn’t know. 

So I don’t want to give the impression that I feel like I have to be right. I like being right. But I like learning more. 

———————-

Right now I’m trying to work through cleaning and maintenance routines. I’m not going to clean the gun after every session. I shoot too much and too often to consider that. 

But if there’s a quick patch to keep it running, that might work. 

I’m thinking some combination of CLP swab feed ramp or possibly Bore tech C4 on a bore snake for the chamber might be a quick patch. 

Dirty chamber from gas power… robbing slide cycling energy will probably be one of the failure mechanisms. 

Right now it’s feeling like my dirty 22 chambers… where initial shots sound muffled and less energetic… then improving as the gun gets heated up and carbon rings soften. 

So that’s where I’m thinking I’ll start with quick solutions. 

After that, it might be something quick to clean the gas chamber. Probably will involve a cordless drill. Bore mop soak and then oversized brass brush. 

Posted (edited)

Trying to log some durability and reliability testing as I get used to the trigger reset timing. 

Splits are getting faster and faster as I get used to the trigger. 

It’s clear that I’m going to have to systematically figure out what needs what for cleaning and maintenance. 

I’m working with 22+1 and at this point (250 rounds without cleaning), it’s clear that even with oiling it doesn’t like to load the second round. 

IMG_1262.thumb.jpeg.ff193bbbe96c99c69d25dea3f7b001ea.jpeg

It’s generally not enough slide energy to overcome the RSA and the mag / cartridge friction so FTL. 

It also means you get related failures beside that which is often FTE. 

IMG_1261.thumb.jpeg.c1b2166ee8368a415d0fb79b1256ab27.jpeg

“If you can’t push, then pull.”

Usually you can get things into balance by either pushing or pulling. 

I can try waxing internal mag bodies or siliconing cases to get them to push up easier. 

Oiling slide helps but not enough. 

Cleaning chamber (and possibly gas chamber) is the obvious solution but going to try holding off on that for now until I test the other variables. 

Last resort is going to hotter ammo, but that’s not a good option for many reasons. 

IMG_1264.jpeg

As expected, the chamber gets really dirty quickly in a gas gun. 

Edited by -JCN-

Posted (edited)

I have certain durability goals. 

Primarily it has to last a long match day without choking. 

So “just clean it before every match” might not be good enough. 

I’m looking to see how much margin each part of the system contributes. 

So that way I can add back margin in cold weather, etc.

I suspect I’ll eventually wind up using the approaches I use for 22 rimfire. But I want to test the other variables first. 

For learning. 

Edited by -JCN-

The gun may be cycling too fast. I had similar issues with a Tanfoglio Open gun many years ago. No matter what I did to the magazines/ammo I would get rounds nose-diving, or spent cases stuck in the ejection port.

24 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

The gun may be cycling too fast. I had similar issues with a Tanfoglio Open gun many years ago. No matter what I did to the magazines/ammo I would get rounds nose-diving, or spent cases stuck in the ejection port.

I hate when that happens! 

I think in this case it’s short stroking.

I get the feeling it’s the dirty chamber. 

Hopefully it’ll be workable with the 150 Syntech but I will change to 130 or traditional ammo if I have to. 

I have a couple more experiments to run before I bail on the ammo. 

I’m pretty happy I have the gun in a place where I can induce failures (with dirty chamber) so that I can test magazine and case treatments. 

I think it’ll come down to cleaning the chamber, though. 

I think I have a better sense of how things work. 

I waxed a mag inside and lightly silicone rag wiped the cases. 

Loaded 22+1, gun still uncleaned. Would have reliably induced a second round malfunction. 

With the waxed mag and lubed cases, the first shot was still weak but not as weak… the whole mag cycled fine. 

7 yards at 0.15-17 splits. 

IMG_1266.thumb.jpeg.70f9d02768bdb41177aecd10a8d1eb6d.jpegIMG_1267.thumb.jpeg.ec9e0a363060b85b8dad6377c114723e.jpeg

So then I knew I could add back margin that way, but the weak ejection still makes things vulnerable. 

Next I took unlubed ammo and unwaxed mag and loaded 22+1. 

But before I did, I used my 22LR trick. 

I use a bore brush as a chamber flag. That way I scrub carbon when it’s still soft and hot before it cools and cakes. 

It also doesn’t require any take down and it’s QUICK to do. 

IMG_1269.thumb.jpeg.16b7f0bef8b4177153eaf78823567f8c.jpeg

IMG_1268.thumb.jpeg.d3b4fa94fffd9903dcff158a516ae5da.jpeg

After brushing with some CLP, the ejection and slide recoil was physically more aggressive and there was plenty of energy to run the slide. 

So the best solution I think is to hot scrub the chamber every few stages. I think I’m allowed to chamber flag a pistol if I want to, right?

47 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

I think I’m allowed to chamber flag a pistol if I want to, right?

8.3.7.3 indicates that after hammer-down the competitor can flag the gun. I think it might be referring to PCC but it does not expressly state that. Might be worth getting a response from DNROI to be certain.

Have you tried round-nose ammo? It might be a little more forgiving.

Edited by BritinUSA

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

8.3.7.3 indicates that after hammer-down the competitor can flag the gun. I think it might be referring to PCC but it does not expressly state that. Might be worth getting a response from DNROI to be certain.

Have you tried round-nose ammo? It might be a little more forgiving.

Thanks! I might just brush it on the safe table to not bother people and not delay the end of stage. 

I shot a LOT of Eley PCC exposed base indoors when training for PCC last Winter and came back with a lead level of 20. 

So I’m trying to stick to Syntech because the primers are leadless and it’s a total jacket with enclosed base. If I have to go to traditional ammo, I’d definitely pick round nose. 

Laugo recommends Sellier and Bellot so I’d probably try that next if I had to. 

I’m pretty optimistic about the chamber brushing though. 

Even with round nose, Laugo recommends cleaning every time you shoot the gun and like <200 rounds. 

If I can go 1000 rounds with just chamber brushing I’ll be happy. 

Edited by -JCN-

I’m going to get some clarification from Laugo about the recoil springs. 

They have a traditional one and a lightweight one. 

I didn’t think to compare them, but I think the LO comes with the lightweight one. The coloring is different, but I’ll confirm with Laugo. 

IMG_1276.thumb.jpeg.1253fc3fbda0dcb8a09f51d1b954870b.jpeg

LO spring looks more silver compared to the standard one on the right. 

I would like to tune recoil springs a little more, I feel like it could still use less spring but with replacement parts so difficult to get I’m loathe to go past the point of no return. 

Lighter recoil springs are great… up until the point where there’s not enough energy to reliably strip the next round or return fully to battery. 

If the LO comes with the lightweight spring then I might as well start messing with the existing standard springs I have lying around. 

3 minutes ago, akarhi said:

Very interesting post. I really like the Alien but i didnt like the price point of the alien. Also the after market parts for it. 

Thanks!

The lack of support prevented me from using them in earnest. I’ve had them since 2021 and this is the first time I feel it is even remotely feasible. 

For a casual competition gun on a budget, most people are better off using the money on training ammo and matches. 

42 minutes ago, akarhi said:

What springs do you use for the Alien? (I just want to know for my own knowledge)

If you don’t mind, I’d kind of like to keep the journal on track and not get side tracked too much! 

I like helping others, but this isn’t the thread for that. This one is for me to help myself, lol. 

The short answer is that I’m still testing and tuning recoil springs and it’s going to be way more nuanced than just picking a spring (for me). It’s going to highly depend on your ammo and cleaning cycles and I don’t want to give advice to others because I’m just figuring it out. 

If you read through the thread, it details what I’m doing for springs. But it’s not set yet.