Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is that "A-Grip" stuff any good?

TDean

A-grip vs. Tru-grip:

Tried them both on various Glocks. I've got short thumbs and have to shift the

gun slightly to hit the mag release. For me, the Tru-grip is a bit too aggressive.

A-grip lets me shift the gun to hit the mag release, and then re-establish my grip

easily.

If you can hit the mag release without shifting your grip, Tru-grip is great stuff!

Both are easy to apply. Tru-grip is cheaper per application, and I believe it

lasts longer .

Both products have their place. I actually need to buy some A-Grip soon for summer carry.

The key to using Tru-Grip for carry (with an undershirt of some variety) is using a holster/belt combo and a carry position that doesn't shift much. If your gun rocks on your belt or your torso is constantly moving relative to the gun, it's going to wear on your clothes for concealed carry. Once I figured that out and bought a good Kramer holster, my clothes-abrasion problems went away. Reasonable care in selecting an over-garment will prevent most issues with the grips "grabbing" on the over garment and causing inadvertent "flashing." Jackets with smooth lining work well for this, but I wear fleece jackets all the time with minimal problems.

In the end, it all comes down to experimentation and personal preference. There's really no right or wrong, just what's right for you.

FWIW, I have A-grip on my G17. I love it. It is soft, and the grip is fantastic. When I clean my glock, I just scrub the whole frame with dawn and hot water. Scrub the A-grip with a toothbrush and let it air dry.

The skateboard tape style grips hold NO appeal for me. I feel like it is the no slip stair tread grip tape you buy at home depot.

• 3 years later...

I tried skateboard tape but didn't like the grittiness. I bought some agrip and put it on my glock. It feels soft as a pillow and I may nuzzle up to it in bed later, but the live fire test is soon to come, hope it works!

I used A-Grip for IDPA. I did cover up the mag release but did not put it under the slide stop. Seemed to work just fine. I did have it on my carry Glock Gen 3s, but now with the Gen4s, I won't use anything. I just love the new Gen4 grips and mag release.

For the Gen 3 G35 I have, once the Agrip wears out and it about is, if I still have the pistol, I'll try tru grip. SInce the Gen4 35s are now hitting the street, I'll probably just sell the Gen 3 G34 and G35 I have once the Gen4s prove reliable.

I do like the A-Grip for carry. Also, if you want a special color other than black, you pretty much have to order directly from Brooks. He was a hoot to talk to.

Later, Lumpy.