Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 Recoil Guide Rods and Springs

Kravi

Hey folks, I need some help.

I'm in the process of putting together a g17.5 and have run into some challenges. I'd like to get a steel, uncaptured, guide rod and a spring kit so I can test what works best for me. And that is where I run into problems. Ok, I'm going to lay out my thoughts as simply and clearly as possible, and I'd love to hear feedback.

From multiple post on these forums (and a few other sources such as Wolff themselves), I've come to the conclusion that:

1. Gen 5 guide rods are longer (aka different) from Gen 4 guide rods
  2. Gen 1 - 3 guide rods are different from both of the above
  3. Gen 4 and 5 recoil springs are the same (despite the different guide rods)
  4. Gen 1 - 3 recoil springs are different and shouldn't be used on Gen 4 or 5 guide rods

Ok, so now for the challenge. I called Wolff, and they only make Gen 1 - 3 springs. They say they don't make springs for Gen 4 or 5 and that you shouldn't use their recoil springs on Gen 4 or 5 Glocks

ISMI just has "recoil springs for Glock" and don't specify the generation. This strikes me as odd, as the requirements between generations has already been established.

Jaegerworks has a gen 5 guide rod that they say is designed for Wolff springs only. That's kinda weird. They also have one for ISMI springs.

With all this being said, I'm just looking for a steel (not yet tungsten) gen 5 guide rod and a spring kit to go with it.

Can any of y'all help a brother out?

Cheers,

Adam

Guide rod labeled as gen 5 (extra length) and spring that is suitable diameter to fit on said rod. That simple. 

Wolff and carver tungsten on gen 5 34 for me. Wolff fits larger diameter rod than ISMI

I do recall looking for a more cost effective G17.5 stainless rod and was hard to find uncaptured.  

edit: the detail you were missing here is that wolf says their springs are not suitable for GEN four and five, because those guns do not come with a type of guide rod that can except aftermarket springs. What they mean to say is that you have to buy a guide rod to use their springs on those gens.

Edited by Seoderus

So you're suggesting that the spring difference I've heard of between generations doesn't matter, despite what Wolff said?

I mean, it looks like everyone is using Wolff and ISMI springs anyway with their Gen 5s, so there is something to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm back with some sad news. I took my glock 17.5 to the range today for its inaugural test run and siting in. I was running it with a tti guide rod with their gen 5 adapter, and the tti "default" 15lb spring. The spring wasn't strong enough to always return the slide to battery, and I kept getting off center light primer strikes. When I swapped out the 15 lb spring for a 17 lb wolff spring, it got better, but still had the occasional issue. The OEM 17lb spring, on the other hand, functioned flawlessly. Then I found this video from 5 years ago which explains the problem better than I ever could:

I wish I had seen this before I dropped $36 or so on the steel guide rod (and another $16 on extra wolff springs.

Word on the street is the ISMI are much better with the Gen 5s, but I haven't tested it. The Glock Store "Pure Tungsten" Gen 5 guide rods apparently use the ISMI springs and work great.

Consider this my PSA for the week!

Cheers,

Adam

I suspect that you don't have an Recoil Spring problem; you may have a Firing Pin Spring problem.  If you're still running the OEM Firing Pin Spring, it is likely too strong for the 15# Recoil Spring to overpower whilst closing the slide.

There is a delicate balancing act that has to be accomplished when modifying striker-fired guns.  Shooters want lower-weight Recoil Springs to fine tune the feel as the gun recoils, but we're also having to reduce the spring weight on the Firing Pin.  Many use the 4#...

I used to use 13# springs in my Gen3 G34 for Production Division.  (11-pounders felt much better, but I couldn't get the gun to run, even with 4# FP springs.)  Those 13# springs worked great in the Gen3, but when I switched to a Gen5, the same set-up bombed.  I had to bump the spring weight up a little bit.  Gen5's react a little differently to changes than earlier models.

So to double check, I put in a lighter firing pin spring (which shipped with the wolff springs) and the same problem occurred. Unless, for whatever reason, they are included a full power firing pin spring in the package - it is thinner and narrower than the OEM firing pin spring.

EDIT: Ok, the recoil springs ship with factory standard 5.5lb striker springs, so obviously swapping it out won't make a difference. Go me!

On the other hand, while I'm certainly not shooting any hard-primered NATO rounds, what are the reliability consequences of dropping to a lower striker spring weight?

Edited by Kravi
See inline

4.5# striker and 15# recoil in gen 5 has treated me very well. 

edit: all my springs are Wolff. Never used ISMI

4.5 is plenty reliable for competitive use, I wouldn’t carry it. Maybe ginex or the like would have occasional light strikes if not seated deep. 

Edited by Seoderus

In full disclosure, after much frustration, I ended up going back to OEM Recoil Springs with the Gen5 gun.  While running aftermarket Springs on it, I was having an occasional jam that was so unusual, nobody could believe figure out how it was happening.  (Literally, live round in the chamber with another live round trying to feed in under it.  I had engineers tell me that it was impossible.)  That "1-in-1000 rounds" jam has disappeared since going back to the OEM spring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 4:22 PM, Braxton1 said:

In full disclosure, after much frustration, I ended up going back to OEM Recoil Springs with the Gen5 gun.  While running aftermarket Springs on it, I was having an occasional jam that was so unusual, nobody could believe figure out how it was happening.  (Literally, live round in the chamber with another live round trying to feed in under it.  I had engineers tell me that it was impossible.)  That "1-in-1000 rounds" jam has disappeared since going back to the OEM spring.

Yeah, I'm running the Glock Store Tungsten rod now (which I run in my carry Glocks) which is the OEM spring but the rod is made of Tungsten (not their "Pure Tungsten" rod which is not a double spring). It runs very well, is OEM for all practical purposes, and the weight is appreciated.

For Gen 5 full size frame guide rods, you will have to run a spring spacer for aftermarket springs to sit at Gen 4 and earlier installed length.  All the aftermarket spring ratings are based on the Gen4 and earlier installed length.  My G17.5 recoil spring assembly length is .240" longer than my G34.4's.  I made my own .240" spacer since nobody as of yet in the aftermarket industry addresses the Gen 5 length change.  

An ISMI 13lb spring with my spacer on a Gen 5 guide rod runs exactly like a Gen 4 and earlier with no spacer.

Edited by gigamortis

16 hours ago, gigamortis said:

For Gen 5 full size frame guide rods, you will have to run a spring spacer for aftermarket springs to sit at Gen 4 and earlier installed length.  All the aftermarket spring ratings are based on the Gen4 and earlier installed length.  My G17.5 recoil spring assembly length is .240" longer than my G34.4's.  I made my own .240" spacer since nobody as of yet in the aftermarket industry addresses the Gen 5 length change.  

An ISMI 13lb spring with my spacer on a Gen 5 guide rod runs exactly like a Gen 4 and earlier with no spacer.

That is fantastic news. So I could just get a .240 washer (cut to fit, of course) and the springs should start functioning normally?

Cheers!